all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Problem of binding aspell to Emacs
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:30:29 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Oct 15, 2:47 am, Water Lin <Water...@ymail.invalid> wrote:
> Two more question about using Aspell with flyspell mode.
>
> The first question:
>
> When Aspell finds an incorrect word, it will mark the incorrect word
> with special underline and color. But there are also a lot of special
> words like Flyspell, Aspell etc. which are meaningful but incorrect.
>
> I want to let Flyspell to ignore these words. What's the command?

right click on the word, and there's a menu command to add the word to
your personal dict.

aspell creates your personal words file by default at
~/.aspell.en.pws

you can add or delete words there directly.

to find out what keyboard shortcut or command is called when right
click the menu item, you can use describe-key.

> The second question:
>
> After successfully installed Flyspell with Aspell, I find that the input
> speed of my keyboard is a little slow and panic. It seems that flyspeel
> will influence my input speed. What can I do with it?
>
> My solution is:
> -------
> I disable Flyspell mode, but after I finish the email edition, I
> will use M-x ispell-region to check my spell. Is it a good way?

this solution is what i use. In fact, i use speck-mode (look at
emacswiki.org for it). In my experience, it's faster, more robust. It
doesn't do spell checking as you type though. It's batch, but faster
than flyspell-buffer...

------------

spell checking is a critical feature of text editors. Spell checking
frustration with Emacs on the Windows OS is a frequently asked
question here. (the installation, configuration, is a huge pain in the
ass even for professional unix sys admins and longtime emacs users)
The GNU Emacs people, for some political, social , philosophical, or
technical reasons, do not or will not make emacs work out of box on
the Windows platform (their perspective may differ than the way i
expressed it here). This, in my opinion, is a major problem of
advancing emacs.

For issues related to this, see:

• Emacs Does Not Support Viewing Images Files In Windows
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_image_support.html

• Problems of Emacs Supporting Obsolete Systems
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_supporting_DOS.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/