When text-quoting-style was introduced, Stefan Monnier (then the maintainer) did not see the need the the variable at all, and wrote "At the very least it should not be a Custom var." See: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-08/msg01020.html Eventually I vaguely recall that Stefan was persuaded to put up with the variable. Still, I think he's right that it's not suitable for a user option. I installed the attached patch to try to document this better. Since it's intended for experts, the variable is documented in the reference manual, not the user manual.