all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ispell or alternative under OpenSolaris
@ 2008-09-13 18:24 Rthoreau
From: Rthoreau @ 2008-09-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear: Fellow Emacs users;

I am in need of your help and have come up blank, I am trying to get
Ispell or any spell checker to work under OpenSolaris, I have emacs
installed but am unable to get spell checking to work.  I am unsure
how to use the local native OpenSolaris libraries to tie in with
emacs.  I have even installed the package ispell for OpenSolaris and
it still does not register with emacs.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/InteractiveSpell

When I search the emacs wiki, I find only options to set emacs to use
hunspell, or aspell, and the setq parameters, but since I am new to
all this I wonder if someone has had experience with this under
OpenSolaris.

* Re: Ispell or alternative under OpenSolaris
@ 2008-09-13 19:19 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-09-13 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Rthoreau!

I'm not use OpenSolaris.
But i can make ispell work with Emacs.

First, you have to install ispell (or other spell checker) and directory
for ispell.

        Example, I use aspell for spell checker.
        And I install 'aspell' and 'aspell-en' (english directory).

And then is simple, just write below configuration in ~/.emacs:
(setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")     ;; if you use ispell
                                                ;; don't need this

(setq ispell-dictionary "english")              ;; set english directory

It's all.

Hope this will help you! :)

Regards.

Andy.

@ 2008-09-15 19:08 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2008-09-15 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is ispell command in your PATH env var?

* Re: Ispell or alternative under OpenSolaris
@ 2008-09-29  2:39   ` Rthoreau
From: Rthoreau @ 2008-09-29  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 15, 2:08 pm, Oleksandr Gavenko <gaven...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Isispellcommand in your PATH env var?

It's been some time ago that I was able to spend some time on this
problem with OpenSolaris, but you are correct.  Your comment about not
having ispell in my PATH was the correct solution. I had to add it my
shell path in my .bashrc file on the export line.  To be exact I added
the needed directories such as /opt/csw/bin and /opt/sfw/bin to
my .bashrc and now ispell buffer works like a charm.