all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* add-hook problem, file mode specification error?
@ 2006-07-28  2:00 David Schneider
From: David Schneider @ 2006-07-28  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some time ago I asked how to modify the compile command in emacs, and
several people were kind enough to help me out with the code:

  (add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
                 (concat "perl -w " (buffer-file-name)))))

which I greatly appreciated.  Recently the command has stopped
working, and I haven't been able to figure out why - perhaps I
accidentally modified my .emacs file or some other configuration
issue.    The message  file mode specification error comes up when
create a compile command for c, but not perl, is there a way to view
the 'hooks' that are in place for a mode, will add-hook return
anything to indicate failure?

* Re: add-hook problem, file mode specification error?
       [not found] <mailman.4569.1154052024.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-28  2:44 ` wenbinye
From: wenbinye @ 2006-07-28  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the result after C-h v perl-mode-hook?

Are you change to cperl-mode?

@ 2006-07-28 15:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-28 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Schneider wrote:
> Some time ago I asked how to modify the compile command in emacs, and
> several people were kind enough to help me out with the code:
>
>  (add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
>          (lambda ()
>            (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
>                 (concat "perl -w " (buffer-file-name)))))
>
> which I greatly appreciated.  Recently the command has stopped
> working, and I haven't been able to figure out why - perhaps I
> accidentally modified my .emacs file or some other configuration
> issue.    The message  file mode specification error comes up when
> create a compile command for c, but not perl, is there a way to view
> the 'hooks' that are in place for a mode, will add-hook return
> anything to indicate failure?

`C-h v perl-mode-hook' will tell you whether add-hook did what you
expect.  But I would start by running emacs with the --debug-init
command line option.

--
Kevin