all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using flyspell-region from another function
@ 2021-06-15  1:01 henri-biard
From: henri-biard @ 2021-06-15  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Have written a function that calls "flyspell-region".

Naturally this needs the BEG and END of the region to be passed.  How should I call flyspell-region, meaning, what should I pass to it ?

(defun myspell ()

    (interactive)

    (flyspell-region beg end))

Want to select the region then call  "M-x myspell".

Do you know how I can use the superior aspell ?

* Re: using flyspell-region from another function
@ 2021-06-15  1:19 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-06-15  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henri-biard wrote:

> Have written a function that calls "flyspell-region".

But that already exists...?

> Naturally this needs the BEG and END of the region to be
> passed. How should I call flyspell-region, meaning, what
> should I pass to it ?

It can look like this:

(defun sort-second-field (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
  (sort-fields 2 beg end) )
(defalias 's2f #'sort-second-field)

You can also make it more generic, for example this which is
DWIM interactively (region if region, 0->point if not), and
from Lisp with args beg->end, and from Lisp w/o args the whole
buffer! so 4 ways to invoke!

(defun count-chars (&optional beg end)
  (interactive
   (if (use-region-p)
       (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
     (list (point-min) (point)) ))
  (message "%d" (- (or end (point-max))
                   (or beg (point-min)) )))

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/sort-incal.el
https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/count.el

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* using flyspell-region from another function
@ 2021-06-15  1:32   ` henri-biard
From: henri-biard @ 2021-06-15  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moasenwood, help-gnu-emacs

>> henri-biard wrote:

> > Have written a function that calls "flyspell-region".

> But that already exists...?

Because I want to use a single function for spelling, rather than having to call ispell, aspell,

flyspell directly.

From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: using flyspell-region from another function
Date: 15/06/2021 03:19:57 Europe/Paris

@ 2021-06-15  6:58     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-06-15  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henri-biard wrote:

>> But that already exists...?
>
> Because I want to use a single function for spelling, rather
> than having to call ispell, aspell,
> flyspell directly.

That's another thing, I also want that only I only use ispell
(I think flyspell is disruptive; aspell rings a very distant
bell... must have been unaware of it existence for 10+ years!)

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/spell.el

No, what I mean to say, if you write you own functions, don't
call them the same as existing functions, unless you have very
good reasons to do that. Even so, it is like asking for
trouble, like a fist fight outside a pizzeria at 03:13 Friday
night, the punches were coming from other planets...

--

@ 2021-06-15 12:18       ` henri-biard
From: henri-biard @ 2021-06-15 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moasenwood, help-gnu-emacs

>No, what I mean to say, if you write you own functions, don't
>call them the same as existing functions, unless you have very
>good reasons to do that. Even so, it is like asking for
>trouble, like a fist fight outside a pizzeria at 03:13 Friday
>night, the punches were coming from other planets...

I will use just one name, but the functionality can be from either ispell, aspell, ar

flyspell.

I agree there are some problems with flyspell,  And aspell, I have no clue how to use in emacs.

From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: 15/06/2021 08:58:44 Europe/Paris

@ 2021-06-15 14:42         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-06-15 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henri-biard wrote:

> And aspell, I have no clue how to use in emacs.

If it is the dictionary set by default just invoke the
spelling and it will be used for that purpose.