all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* complete from words in all opened buffers, not just code parts.
@ 2021-06-09 16:47 martin-kemp
From: martin-kemp @ 2021-06-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to be able to complete from words in all open buffers, not just code parts.  Is there a setting

in company-mode I can use ?

Have made some progress using the following

 (setq company-backends '(company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev))

But, in programming languages I cannot complete from all buffers including from comments in

opened code files.

* Re: complete from words in all opened buffers, not just code parts.
@ 2021-06-09 16:51 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2021-06-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin-kemp, help-gnu-emacs

On 09.06.2021 19:47, martin-kemp@brusseler.com wrote:
> But, in programming languages I cannot complete from all buffers including from comments in
>
> opened code files.

Try

(setq company-dabbrev-code-everywhere t)

In general, you can view the available options across the package using
'M-x customize-group company'.

* complete from words in all opened buffers, not just code parts.
@ 2021-06-09 18:29   ` martin-kemp
From: martin-kemp @ 2021-06-09 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs

Have set up things as follows ta allow completion from code buffers, everywhere, ignoring letter case,

and using all opened buffers.

  (setq company-dabbrev-code-everywhere t)
  (setq company-dabbrev-code-ignore-case)
  (setq company-dabbrev-code-other-buffers t)

I also want to complete from texinfo (.texi) files.  Last time you had mentioned

  (setq company-backends '(company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev))

There are a loads of options and getting hesitant to what to keep and which ones to discard.

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: martin-kemp@brusseler.com;
   help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: complete from words in all opened buffers, not just code parts.
Date: 09/06/2021 18:51:46 Europe/Paris

@ 2021-06-09 23:13     ` martin-kemp
From: martin-kemp @ 2021-06-09 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin-kemp, Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs

Currently I have set the following

  (setq company-backends '(company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev))

  (setq company-dabbrev-code-everywhere t)
  (setq company-dabbrev-code-ignore-case t)
  (setq company-dabbrev-code-other-buffers t)

  (setq company-dabbrev-code-everywhere t)
  (setq company-dabbrev-ignore-case t)
  (setq company-dabbrev-other-buffers t)

Does the company-backends sequence matter.  Would like to complete for both text files

and code (including from comments).  I could also make a keybind to complete from code only

or from everything.  What can one do for such keybind case?

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: martin-kemp@brusseler.com;
   help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: 09/06/2021 18:51:46 Europe/Paris