all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* The right way to reuse code from another project
@ 2020-03-20 20:04 Serghei
From: Serghei @ 2020-03-20 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs Developers

Hello,

I would like to reuse some test helpers in bnf-mode [1] initially
created by lua-mode [2] authors.  So I'm interested in the proper
way mention authorship and copyright notice.  Both modes are
distributed under GNU GPL.  Could someone advice me the right way
to include those helpers in bnf-mode.

Thank you,

[1]: https://github.com/sergeyklay/bnf-mode
[2]: https://github.com/immerrr/lua-mode

--
Serghei

* Re: The right way to reuse code from another project
@ 2020-03-20 23:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-03-20 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serghei; +Cc: GNU Emacs Developers

> I would like to reuse some test helpers in bnf-mode [1] initially
> created by lua-mode [2] authors.  So I'm interested in the proper
> way mention authorship and copyright notice.  Both modes are
> distributed under GNU GPL.  Could someone advice me the right way
> to include those helpers in bnf-mode.

The proper way is:
- find out who are the authors are (e.g. with `vc-region-history`).
- check whether they have signed the copyright paperwork.
- if they have not and the code is non-trivial, ask them to sign the paperwork.
  [ in this case, I suspect they all already signed.  ]
- ask them if they're OK to contribute that code to your GNU ELPA
  package and hence consider that code as covered yb their copyright assignment.
- add their names to the `Author:` if you think the code is significant
  enough for that.

The copyright line shouldn't need any changing since their paperwork
assigns the copyright to the FSF anyway.

* Re: The right way to reuse code from another project
@ 2020-03-21  7:14   ` Serghei
From: Serghei @ 2020-03-21  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: GNU Emacs Developers

> The proper way is:
>
> -   find out who are the authors are (e.g. with `vc-region-history`).
> -   check whether they have signed the copyright paperwork.

How I can check this?  Should I just ask authors?  Is there any
automated way?

--

@ 2020-03-21 13:14     ` Serghei
From: Serghei @ 2020-03-21 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: GNU Emacs Developers

I contacted lua-mode authors and get all answers.

Thank you

--
Serghei

@ 2020-03-21 15:59     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-03-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serghei; +Cc: GNU Emacs Developers

> How I can check this?  Should I just ask authors?

You can ask (one of) the maintainer(s) (or me).

> Is there any automated way?

Sadly, no, I think partly for lack of manpower and partly for concerns
about making this information too public.