all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pasting to emacs running in an xterm window
@ 2002-09-27 17:09 gnuist006
From: gnuist006 @ 2002-09-27 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Objective: Bug free pasting to emacs running in an xterm window

No problem when pasted to vim running in an xterm window.
Thus I have to waste time and effort going back and forth
between emacs and vim to do the editing and pasting respectively.

gnuist006

* Re: pasting to emacs running in an xterm window
@ 2002-09-27 17:37 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-09-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <b00bb831.0209270909.61e8ffb8@posting.google.com>,
gnuist006 <gnuist006@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Objective: Bug free pasting to emacs running in an xterm window
>
>No problem when pasted to vim running in an xterm window.
>Thus I have to waste time and effort going back and forth
>between emacs and vim to do the editing and pasting respectively.

As long as the text you're pasting doesn't contain any control characters
(except newlines), I don't see why this should be a problem.

If it does contain control characters, Emacs will treat them exactly as if
you'd typed them, and execute them as commands.  When a program is running
in an xterm window, it can't tell the difference between pasted input and
keyboard input.

This is why it's usually preferable to run Emacs in its own window.  It
then has direct access to the X server, and can take full advantage of
this.  When running in an xterm, it's effectively limited to the
capabilities it has on a dumb terminal.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA