On 7/12/19 12:12 AM, Pip Cet wrote: > I don't understand why this would improve performance this > significantly (maybe because it allows 8-bit offsets to be used rather > than 32-bit ones?). Yes, that's my guess too. For the record, my benchmark platform was my old work desktop (AMD Phenom II X4 910e, circa 2010) running Fedora 30 x86-64, with plain 'make compile-always' (no -j). I really should get that upgraded. > Maybe it would be a good idea to make Vdead a symbol (or a tagged NULL > pointer) and treat it similarly, if this actually improves > performance. It does speed up GC a bit. I installed the attached. Thanks for the suggestion. >> + static char const commonsym[][8] > > I'm curious, why isn't this simply "static char *commonsym[]"? Old performance habits that don't matter here. Besides, that alternative should be 'static char const *const commonsym[]" which is not obviously simpler....