all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* VB mode?
@ 2006-07-12 13:16 Simon
From: Simon @ 2006-07-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,
  I recently started programming in Visual Basic and decided to use my
favorite text editor: emacs.  However, best would be to have a mode
that will highlight keywords, ident, and everything.

  I did find such a file:
http://d116.com/hacks/emacs/visual-basic-mode.el

  However, in the instructions, it says to put the file in my path
(ok...) and then to compile it, what does that mean?  I've never
touched lisp before so i have no idea what it's fed with in the
winter...

I will not have time to read and understand the manual for a long time,
so if you care to help an emacs lover like me, please do so!

Oh! by the way, I'm currently using xemacs on windows, but will also
use emacs and xemacs on linux (slackware).

Thanks,
  Simon

* Re: VB mode?
@ 2006-07-12 14:47 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2006-07-12 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Simon <simon.xhz@gmail.com>:

> http://d116.com/hacks/emacs/visual-basic-mode.el
>
>   However, in the instructions, it says to put the file in my path
> (ok...) and then to compile it

C-x C-f /whatever/your/path/visual-basic-mode.el
M-x byte-compile-file
(return when propts for a file...)

--
  /\           ___
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____

* Re: VB mode?
@ 2006-07-12 15:47 ` Sebastian Meisel
From: Sebastian Meisel @ 2006-07-12 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2006 15:16 schrieb Simon:
> Hi there,
>   I recently started programming in Visual Basic and decided to use my
> favorite text editor: emacs.  However, best would be to have a mode
> that will highlight keywords, ident, and everything.
>
>   I did find such a file:
> http://d116.com/hacks/emacs/visual-basic-mode.el
>
>   However, in the instructions, it says to put the file in my path
> (ok...) and then to compile it, what does that mean?  I've never
> touched lisp before so i have no idea what it's fed with in the
> winter...
>
> I will not have time to read and understand the manual for a long time,
> so if you care to help an emacs lover like me, please do so!
>
> Oh! by the way, I'm currently using xemacs on windows, but will also
> use emacs and xemacs on linux (slackware).
>
> Thanks,
>   Simon

Hi Simon,

you don't have to compile anything. Just put the file to

/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/progmodes/
                                 ^^^ may be different depending on the version
                                        of emacs you're using

Then you put
->>
 (setq any mode-customization variables you want here)
(autoload 'visual-basic-mode "visual-basic-mode" "Visual Basic mode." t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (append '(("\\.\\(frm\\|bas\\|cls\\)$" .
                                  visual-basic-mode)) auto-mode-alist))
<<-

to your .emacs file, as is stated in visual-basic-mode.el.

Then you have to close emacs. When you open a visual-basic-file the next time
in emacs, visual-basic-mode is used.

--
Sebastian Meisel

* Re: VB mode?
@ 2006-07-12 16:56   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Meisel wrote:
> you don't have to compile anything. Just put the file to
>
> /usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/progmodes/
>                                  ^^^ may be different depending on the version
>                                         of emacs you're using

It would be better to put it in $prefix/share/emacs/site-lisp (where
prefix is usually /usr/local).

And it would also be better to then compile it, with
`M-x byte-compile-file'.

--
Kevin