all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HELP! breaking an infinite loop in M-|
@ 2003-11-06 23:17 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-06 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I sent some perl code to M-| that, unfortunately, seems to be in an
infinite loop.  Emacs isn't responding.  How can I get it to break the
loop?

Thanks in advance

-Dan

* Re: HELP! breaking an infinite loop in M-|
       [not found] <mailman.3363.1068160722.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-07 15:48 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-11-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.3363.1068160722.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Dan Anderson  <dan@mathjunkies.com> wrote:
>I sent some perl code to M-| that, unfortunately, seems to be in an
>infinite loop.  Emacs isn't responding.  How can I get it to break the
>loop?

Control-g is almost always the way to abort or interrupt things in Emacs.
When you're running a shell command, the first time you press it it will
say "Waiting for process to die...(type C-g again to kill it instantly)".
Press it again and you should be back.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

@ 2003-11-07 17:16 ` Gareth Rees
From: Gareth Rees @ 2003-11-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:
> I sent some perl code to M-| that, unfortunately, seems to be in an
> infinite loop.  Emacs isn't responding.  How can I get it to break the
> loop?

C-g

--
Gareth Rees