Hi Alan, I've attached a small text file...my regex is foo...and I just hit return to take the default color of hi-yellow. Thanks for the compliment on the bug report (I do write&debug software so I've tried to be specific!)...should I send this message to the address below? Thanks, Dale On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote: > Hi, Dale! > > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 01:16:46PM -0700, Dale wrote: > > Hi All, not sure where to issue potential bug reports. Apologies if > > I'm in the wrong place. > > bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org is the bug place, but no worries! > > > I'm running GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) > > > Running the following scenario caused hi-lock to automatically disable > > for me. > > emacs -Q > > M-x eval-expression > > (global-hi-lock-mode 1) > > ;; load a file at this point > > C-x w h > > ;; type in my regex, and it is successfully highlighted after picking > > my color > > > ;; the second instantiation of the command causes issues > > C-x w ;; results in "C-x w is undefined" in the message bar. > > > Has anyone else seen this? or am I doing something incorrectly? > > Yes, this has happened to me sporadically, and it's irritated me > something rotten. It's been one of these things which isn't quite bad > enough to warrant full-scale debugging, yet bad enough to irk. ;-) > > Trouble is, I can't now reproduce it now with your recipe (above). ;-( > > From the way you describe it, I'm assuming that you can make the bug > happen repeatedly. The only thing you haven't specified precisely above > is what file you're loading and what regexp you type. (In general, a > brilliant bug report, by the way.) > > Any chance you could supply the file and state the regexp? Best would > be if you could include a small source file in your post, or give the > name of, say, an Emacs source file. > > > Thanks, > > Dale > > -- > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany). >