all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Certain keys don't work in emacs in a terminal
@ 2006-09-21  7:59 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1162509359.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto @ 2006-09-21  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I use emacs under xterm, pressing <menu>  generates a message that
"<print> is undefined"; pressing "C-1" inserts the number 1 as if I had
pressed just "1".
Under a virtual console, the behaviour is also wrong, but different.

How can I make emacs work under xterm or under a virtual console as if it
was under X?

Thank you.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.

* Certain keys don't work in emacs in a terminal
@ 2006-11-02 23:15 ` Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1162509359.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto @ 2006-11-02 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I use emacs under xterm, pressing <menu>  generates a message that
"<print> is undefined"; pressing "C-1" inserts the number 1 as if I had
pressed just "1".
Under a virtual console, the behavior is also wrong, but different.

How can I make emacs work under xterm or under a virtual console as if it
was under X?

Thank you.

PS: I am sorry for sending this message again... but there is more than a
month and no answer. i won't send any more times.
--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.

* Re: Certain keys don't work in emacs in a terminal
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1162509359.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-03  0:38   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-11-03  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:15:53 -0200, "Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I use emacs under xterm, pressing <menu>  generates a message that
> "<print> is undefined"; pressing "C-1" inserts the number 1 as if I had
> pressed just "1".
> Under a virtual console, the behavior is also wrong, but different.
>
> How can I make emacs work under xterm or under a virtual console as if it
> was under X?

In short, "you can't".  There are some things that are not (currently)
possible within an xterm window, i.e. you cannot differentiate between
all the possible 'modifiers' of the X11 keyboard.

@ 2006-11-10 22:52   ` Olive
From: Olive @ 2006-11-10 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> When I use emacs under xterm, pressing <menu>  generates a message that
> "<print> is undefined"; pressing "C-1" inserts the number 1 as if I had
> pressed just "1".
> Under a virtual console, the behavior is also wrong, but different.
>
> How can I make emacs work under xterm or under a virtual console as if
> it was under X?
>
> Thank you.
>
> PS: I am sorry for sending this message again... but there is more than
> a month and no answer. i won't send any more times.
> --
> Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.

You have to configure your term. For xterm, it work properly if you use
the following Xresources

XTerm.ttyModes: erase ^?
XTerm.vt100.backarrowKey: false
XTerm.vt100.eightBitInput: false

For the menu key under Xterm, there is a bug in xterm.el (this file load
specific keys for xterm); change the last line from
(define-key function-key-map "\e[29~" [print])
(define-key function-key-map "\e[29~" [home])

This key does not work under the console and in my case the console does
not recognise it; but you can use Alt-x as normal.

Some distributions put resource remappings some functions keys in Xterm;
ensure to erase such customization (I assume you know how to deal with
Xresources, repost if you have problems).

If you want to type non ASCII-characters in your emacs under Xterm, you
will have to tell emacs which coding system the terminal use; I have in
my .emacs:

(set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-1)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-1)

You can even use the mouse wheel under the xterm:

(mouse-wheel-mode 1)

Olive