On 10/09/17 13:15, Marco Wahl wrote: > There is `find-alternate-file' which meets your requirements AFAICS. > > I use it mostly from dired buffers where the function (actually > `dired-find-alternate-file') is bound to "a". This is what I was looking for. I will also use the dired keystroke you mentioned. I noticed that IDO binds C-x C-v to its own variant of this function, which does the same but uses the IDO facility for entering the file-name. Thanks to everybody who replied. -- Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan