all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to change Viper-Mode behavior ?
@ 2010-05-28 21:44 Alessandro Stamatto
From: Alessandro Stamatto @ 2010-05-28 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using Viper-Mode in emacs. And i don't like the movement keys of Vi... I
would like to do those simple customizations in it:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
change the movement keys to:   i -> up , j -> left, k -> down , l -> right .
change the 'Esc' key behavior to:  If in Command Mode change to Insert Mode
as if i had pressed the 'i' key.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there an easy way to do those customizations?  If yes, how can i do it?

Best Regards, Alessandro Stamatto.

* Re: How to change Viper-Mode behavior ?
@ 2010-05-29 20:53 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Stamatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Alessandro Stamatto
<astamatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Viper-Mode in emacs. And i don't like the movement keys of Vi... I
> would like to do those simple customizations in it:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> change the movement keys to:   i -> up , j -> left, k -> down , l -> right .
> change the 'Esc' key behavior to:  If in Command Mode change to Insert Mode
> as if i had pressed the 'i' key.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Is there an easy way to do those customizations?  If yes, how can i do it?

I think those movement keys in vi where chosen to optimize speed.
Normally you rest your fingers on those keys (i.e h j k l).

I don't think it takes long to get use to them.

And there are other places outside Emacs where it is useful to know
those keys (I use some of it in gmail for example).

Do you really want to change the keys?

If you do then just look for the keymaps where they are bound. Maybe
some of it is hardcoded because the request to be able to move them is
quite weak.

* Re: How to change Viper-Mode behavior ?
@ 2010-05-30  2:19   ` ahei
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7.1275197567.19569.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ahei @ 2010-05-30  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, astamatto, lennart.borgman

I agree this, and I want to know, why you want to use Viper mode? Delete
text more conveniently. BTW viper-mode already support up down left right.

@ 2010-05-30  5:32     ` Alessandro Stamatto
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7.1275197567.19569.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alessandro Stamatto @ 2010-05-30  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ahei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alright, you guys convinced me! Im gonna get used to the usual keybinds.

I love emacs, but i read in some blogs about viper-mode for emacs and wanted
to experiment the modal keybinds.

Thanks for the answers and sorry to disturbing you guys.

@ 2010-05-30  9:53       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-30  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Stamatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Alessandro Stamatto
<astamatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, you guys convinced me! Im gonna get used to the usual keybinds.
>
> I love emacs, but i read in some blogs about viper-mode for emacs and wanted
> to experiment the modal keybinds.
>
> Thanks for the answers and sorry to disturbing you guys.

Oh, maybe you misunderstood me. I am using Viper all the time. Without
Viper key bindings I could not stand Emacs. And I am using Emacs a
lot... ;-)

@ 2010-05-31  7:44       ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-05-31  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30 Maj, 07:32, Alessandro Stamatto <astama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, you guys convinced me! Im gonna get used to the usual keybinds.
(...)

There is a whole lot more to vi-style modal editing in emacs. You may
want also to have a look at Vimpulse:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Vimpulse

Cheers,
--