all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How start shell in a new *window*? No shell-other-window exists!?!?!
@ 2008-12-08 19:00 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There doesn't seem to be a shell-other-window to start shell in a new
*window* like dired-other-window.

The following function I wrote shows a shell in TWO windows so it
doesn't do the trick.

(lambda () (interactive)
        (switch-to-buffer-other-window (shell)))

* Re: How start shell in a new *window*? No shell-other-window exists!?!?!
@ 2008-12-09 12:45 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-12-09 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> There doesn't seem to be a shell-other-window to start shell in a new
> *window* like dired-other-window.
>
> The following function I wrote shows a shell in TWO windows so it
> doesn't do the trick.
>
> (lambda () (interactive)
>         (switch-to-buffer-other-window (shell)))

Try this

(lambda () (interactive)
   (switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
   (shell))

The point is that in your code, (shell) is evaluated (making a new
buffer, which gets displayed in the current window) and then
switch-to-buffer-other-window says to display that buffer in a different
window too.

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: How start shell in a new *window*? No shell-other-window  exists!?!?!
@ 2008-12-09 18:20   ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-12-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 9, 4:45 am, Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There doesn't seem to be a shell-other-window to start shell in a new
> > *window* like dired-other-window.
>
> > The following function I wrote shows a shell in TWO windows so it
> > doesn't do the trick.
>
> > (lambda () (interactive)
> >         (switch-to-buffer-other-window (shell)))
>
> Try this
>
> (lambda () (interactive)
>    (switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
>    (shell))
>
> The point is that in your code, (shell) is evaluated (making a new
> buffer, which gets displayed in the current window) and then
> switch-to-buffer-other-window says to display that buffer in a different
> window too.

Thanks a lot.  That did it!

cs