all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Incorrect tab-width when using non-english fonts
@ 2008-08-22  9:05 Forrest Y. Yu
From: Forrest Y. Yu @ 2008-08-22  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  I fetched Emacs-23.0.60.1 yesterday and built it successfully. It is
beautiful. However, when I set default font to SimSun -- a common Chinese
font, the tab-width becomes twice as before, that is, Emacs calculates the
tab width in width of Chinese, which often occupies a space of two English
letters. That makes my document looks weird.

  My last installation was done about 8 months ago. Things were ok with that
version. The tab-width was correct no matter what fonts I used.

  This is not a simple tab-width problem, so I don't know how to search the
internet. I tried but found no useful information.

  One possible solution is to use two kinds of fonts, one for English the
other for Chinese, but that will make my doc fail to align. I need that one
Chinese character occupies exactly the width of two monospace-type english
letters. I cannot find any English font that satisfies this.

  In a word, my problem might be solved in these two ways:

  1. To make Emacs calculate width using English letters regardless of the
font
  2. To find an English font whose width is half of a Chinese character (of
course, it should be monospace)

  Neither of the way I know how to do.

  Could anyone help me out?

  Thanks for your attention. Your suggestion will be very appreciated.

Best Regards,
Forrest (YYu)

--
Stupid is as stupid does.

* Re: Incorrect tab-width when using non-english fonts
@ 2008-08-22 11:10 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-08-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:05:50 +0800 Forrest Y. Yu wrote:

>   I fetched Emacs-23.0.60.1 yesterday and built it successfully. It is
> beautiful. However, when I set default font to SimSun -- a common Chinese
> font, the tab-width becomes twice as before, that is, Emacs calculates the tab
> width in width of Chinese, which often occupies a space of two English
> letters. That makes my document looks weird.
>
>   My last installation was done about 8 months ago. Things were ok with that
> version. The tab-width was correct no matter what fonts I used.

I'm not familiar with non latin scripts.  But if you consider this to be
"not correct" the best is probably to M-x report-emacs-bug or at least
write to emacs-devel.

David