all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to make the width of a CJK character as two english letter?
@ 2007-12-19  8:24 Forrest
From: Forrest @ 2007-12-19  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi, i use Emacs23 as the editor in development, sometimes i use Chinese to
comment my code, i wander how i can set the width of a Chinese character as
two english letter?
i just want my code to be beautifully aligned. Thanks a lot!

Forrest Yu

--
Stupid is as stupid does.

* Re: how to make the width of a CJK character as two english letter?
@ 2007-12-20  3:56 ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2007-12-20  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Forrest <forrest.yu@gmail.com> writes:

> hi, i use Emacs23 as the editor in development, sometimes i use Chinese to
> comment my code, i wander how i can set the width of a Chinese character as
> two english letter?

Use Markus Kuhn's fine font <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

I build my own bdf font so that it works on all OS.

Here's how I build the font:

https://kanis.fr/svn/trunk/font/

and that's my emacs font setup:

https://kanis.fr/svn/trunk/lisp/emacs.d/ivan-font.el

Hope it help,
--
Ivan
http://kanis.fr

  "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have
a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."
    -- Vice President Dan Quayle

* Re: how to make the width of a CJK character as two english letter?
@ 2007-12-20  4:45 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2007-12-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Forrest <forrest.yu@gmail.com> writes:

> hi, i use Emacs23 as the editor in development, sometimes i use Chinese
> to comment my code, i wander how i can set the width of a Chinese
> character as two english letter?

I think this should be the standard behaviour.

> i just want my code to be beautifully
> aligned.

The not "beautifully aligned" behaviour is probably because you have a
mix of chinese characters and alphabets, numbers, punctuations or other
single byte ascii characters.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org