all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs daemon on M$? [was: emacs daemon on win32?]
@ 2008-10-13  3:43 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-10-13  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:45:19 +0530
>> From: dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com>
>>
>>  I was hoping to have emacs daemon on M$ platforms. I did a quick hack
>> by enabling is_daemon (through the debugger - easier than modifying
>> the source) to see where it groks. From my limited understanding, the
>> 'sys_select' with following message.
>>
>> warning: select.WaitForMultipleObjects (2, 4406) failed with 6
>>
>> If am in the process of debugging it further, if someone has already
>> explored this path, please let me know or guide me.
>
> Why does it make sense to have this on Windows?  What would you like
> to accomplish with this option on Windows?

I really do not have a very strong case. However, I would like to have
emacs run as a service on M$. I can open frames and edit files, open
frame to read mails and close it when done. Having emacs run as a
service has unlimited uses. I could use it to run some remote commands
(once I have it running on remote machines).
 If you have seen STAF (software test automation framework) to
dispatch commands to remote machines, I would use emacs instead. It
can become a highly customizable control center!

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: emacs daemon on M$? [was: emacs daemon on win32?]
@ 2008-10-13  7:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-10-13  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dhruva; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:13:37 +0530
> From: dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Why does it make sense to have this on Windows?  What would you like
> > to accomplish with this option on Windows?
>
> I really do not have a very strong case. However, I would like to have
> emacs run as a service on M$.

I assume you don't mean ``service'' in the Windows sense of the word,
because doing that requires a totally different program structure,
AFAIK.  You don't want to start Emacs as a service from svchost, do
you?

> I can open frames and edit files, open frame to read mails and close
> it when done. Having emacs run as a service has unlimited uses. I
> could use it to run some remote commands (once I have it running on
> remote machines).  If you have seen STAF (software test automation
> framework) to dispatch commands to remote machines, I would use
> emacs instead. It can become a highly customizable control center!

Which of those cannot be done with the normal Emacs, and why?  (I
think you can do all of them, but maybe I'm missing something.)

In any case, IIUC, the daemon code that's in Emacs now is entirely
inappropriate for Windows.  What you seem to want is an Emacs without
a live frame; doing that on Windows does not need most of the code in
emacs.c that deals with the --daemon option.  (Again, maybe I'm
missing something.)

* Re: emacs daemon on M$? [was: emacs daemon on win32?]
@ 2008-10-13 13:53   ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-10-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:13:37 +0530
>> From: dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> > Why does it make sense to have this on Windows?  What would you like
>> > to accomplish with this option on Windows?
>>
>> I really do not have a very strong case. However, I would like to have
>> emacs run as a service on M$.

I was really thinking of running it as a service. I do know that you
need to add some extra code to handle service register, service start
and stop events. Frankly, there is not burning need to get something
like that. When I saw the daemon mode, I just try to fiddle around
hoping to have it working on M$! Please do not waste your valuable
developer bandwidth on this issue, I will just play around a bit when
I have time.

Thanks,
-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!