all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* finding old-style-backquote
@ 2007-09-14  7:51 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-09-14  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi,
 Is there a way to find the position of the old-style-backquote. Since
we now get a warning, I wonder if there is some variable/flag that I
can set to stop on the first occurrence like debug-on-error. That will
make it easier to find and fix them.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: finding old-style-backquote
@ 2007-09-14 14:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Devel

>  Is there a way to find the position of the old-style-backquote. Since
> we now get a warning, I wonder if there is some variable/flag that I
> can set to stop on the first occurrence like debug-on-error. That will
> make it easier to find and fix them.

The byte-compiler gives some line info (it's only the line number of the
beginning of the top-level sexp in which the old-style-backquote is located,
tho, so it's not as precise as you might ideally want, but I found it to be
sufficient).

In any case C-s (` is not that hard to type, is it?

* Re: finding old-style-backquote
@ 2007-09-14 14:39   ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-09-14 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Hi,

On 9/14/07, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> In any case C-s (` is not that hard to type, is it?

(if (boundp '*def-font)
    (progn
      (if (boundp 'default-frame-plist)
	  (add-to-list 'default-frame-plist '(font ,*def-font)))
      (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . ,*def-font))))

In the above expression, I get a warning that it uses old style
backquote. I am not able to catch it. Looking for identifying the
culprit.

-dky

--

@ 2007-09-14 17:23     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-14 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> On 9/14/07, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> In any case C-s (` is not that hard to type, is it?

> (if (boundp '*def-font)
>     (progn
>       (if (boundp 'default-frame-plist)
> 	  (add-to-list 'default-frame-plist '(font ,*def-font)))
>       (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . ,*def-font))))

> In the above expression, I get a warning that it uses old style
> backquote. I am not able to catch it. Looking for identifying the
> culprit.

Buggy code: your new-style unquotes (i.e. ",*def-font") are not
inside backquotes so they will not be evaluated and your add-to-list will
hence not do what you intended.