all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 13:50 Ryan Krauss
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-05-04 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

This seems like a silly question, but I have goolged around and not
come up with an answer.  If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I
switch the focus between the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls
them).  I have an aversion to touching the mouse, but basically I want
to click in the other window and work over there and then click back.
I also want to use this when I do C-x C-b to list the buffers.  I want
to switch into the buffer list to choose the one I want to open.

Thanks,

Ryan

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 13:56 ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2006-05-04 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Ryan Krauss" <ryanlists@gmail.com> writes:

> This seems like a silly question, but I have goolged around and not
> come up with an answer.  If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I
> switch the focus between the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls
> them).  I have an aversion to touching the mouse, but basically I want
> to click in the other window and work over there and then click
> back. I also want to use this when I do C-x C-b to list the buffers.
> I want
> to switch into the buffer list to choose the one I want to open.

C-x o  cycles between frames.

HTH,

Roger

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 14:02   ` Ryan Krauss
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-05-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That is exactly what I was trying to find.  Thanks Roger.

Ryan

On 5/4/06, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
> "Ryan Krauss" <ryanlists@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This seems like a silly question, but I have goolged around and not
> > come up with an answer.  If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I
> > switch the focus between the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls
> > them).  I have an aversion to touching the mouse, but basically I want
> > to click in the other window and work over there and then click
> > back. I also want to use this when I do C-x C-b to list the buffers.
> > I want
> > to switch into the buffer list to choose the one I want to open.
>
> C-x o  cycles between frames.
>
> HTH,
>
> Roger

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 14:12     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I am glad you got the answer you wanted. However the terminology is a
bit reversed in Emacs. What is a window to the window manager is called
frames in Emacs. A frame in Emacs can be split in Emacs windows. History
is to blame for that after what I have heard.

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> That is exactly what I was trying to find.  Thanks Roger.
>
> Ryan
>
> On 5/4/06, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
>> "Ryan Krauss" <ryanlists@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > This seems like a silly question, but I have goolged around and not
>> > come up with an answer.  If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I
>> > switch the focus between the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls
>> > them).  I have an aversion to touching the mouse, but basically I want
>> > to click in the other window and work over there and then click
>> > back. I also want to use this when I do C-x C-b to list the buffers.
>> > I want
>> > to switch into the buffer list to choose the one I want to open.
>>
>> C-x o  cycles between frames.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Roger

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 14:25   ` John Conrad
From: John Conrad @ 2006-05-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/4/06, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
> "Ryan Krauss" <ryanlists@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This seems like a silly question, but I have goolged around and not
> > come up with an answer.  If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I
> > switch the focus between the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls
> > them).  I have an aversion to touching the mouse, but basically I want
> > to click in the other window and work over there and then click
> > back. I also want to use this when I do C-x C-b to list the buffers.
> > I want
> > to switch into the buffer list to choose the one I want to open.
>
> C-x o  cycles between frames.
>
> HTH,
>
> Roger

Specifically, the command/function 'other-window' cycles through
windows, and, as Roger pointed out, it is bound by default to the
C-x o.

It always annoyed me that C-x C-b (and lots of other commands) open
new windows, possibly messing up my window configuration, and almost
always requiring me to take the extra step of hitting C-x o (or F7,
which I've bound to 'other-window). About a year ago I took the step
of adding the following sexp to my .emacs file, which causes all these
buffer-creating commands to open in the current window:

(setq same-window-regexps (list ".*"))

I would be curious to hear from anybody who might share my frustration
and has found an alternative solution.

Regards,
John Emerson Conrad

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 14:31 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-05-04 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.05.2006 um 15:50 schrieb Ryan Krauss:

> If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I switch the focus between
> the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls them).

You change between the windows with C-x o.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
-- Elbert Hubbard

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 18:12     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-05-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Conrad wrote:
> It always annoyed me that C-x C-b (and lots of other commands) open
> new windows, possibly messing up my window configuration, and almost
> always requiring me to take the extra step of hitting C-x o (or F7,
> which I've bound to 'other-window). About a year ago I took the step
> of adding the following sexp to my .emacs file, which causes all these
> buffer-creating commands to open in the current window:
>
> (setq same-window-regexps (list ".*"))
>
> I would be curious to hear from anybody who might share my frustration
> and has found an alternative solution.

I do not share your frustration, but you might try frobbing this
variable instead:

,----[ C-h v pop-up-windows RET ]
| pop-up-windows is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means display-buffer should make new windows.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

I prefer to leave pop-up-windows as its default (t), but:

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'electric-buffer-list)

and:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
       (nconc '("*Async Shell Command*" "*Backtrace*" "*VC-log*"
                "*compilation*" "*grep*")
	     special-display-buffer-names))
(setq special-display-frame-alist
       (cons '(tool-bar-lines . 0) special-display-frame-alist))

--
Kevin

* Re: switching frame focus
@ 2006-05-04 18:16 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-05-04 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> This seems like a silly question, but I have goolged around and not
> come up with an answer.  If I split my window using C-x 2, how do I
> switch the focus between the two split frames (or whatever emacs calls
> them).  I have an aversion to touching the mouse, but basically I want
> to click in the other window and work over there and then click back. I
> also want to use this when I do C-x C-b to list the buffers.  I want
> to switch into the buffer list to choose the one I want to open.

RTFM: `C-x 2' is documented in section 25.2 (Splitting Windows) of the
Emacs manual, and section 25.3 (Using Other Windows) immediately follows
and documents `C-x o'.

--
Kevin