all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't execute the keymacro in batch mode
@ 2006-05-02 19:27 Lee, Jinhyuk
From: Lee, Jinhyuk @ 2006-05-02 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear,

I am using EMACS 21.3.1 in redhat machine.

In older version, 20.3.8.1, I could execute my keymacro in batch mode by call my function as following.

emacs -batch test.txt -l mykeymacro.el -f myfunction -f save-buffer

But, In new version , It doesn't support this. Emacs wait with the prompt , "M-x" when I run this.

Thx in advance

--
Jinhyuk Lee

* Re: Can't execute the keymacro in batch mode
@ 2006-05-03 15:32 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-05-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee, Jinhyuk wrote:
> I am using EMACS 21.3.1 in redhat machine.
>
> In older version, 20.3.8.1, I could execute my keymacro in batch mode by call my function as following.
>
> emacs -batch test.txt -l mykeymacro.el -f myfunction -f save-buffer
>
> But, In new version , It doesn't support this. Emacs wait with the prompt , "M-x" when I run this.

Are you sure you're not using Emacs 22, from CVS?  The etc/NEWS file says:

* Startup Changes in Emacs 22.1
** The -f option, used from the command line to call a function,
now reads arguments for the function interactively if it is
an interactively callable function.

But that feature seems to interact badly with -batch.  Here's what I
put in in mykeymacro.el:

(fset 'myfunction (kbd "C-x C-f foo.bar RET"))

Invoking Emacs as you did causes it to hang with the "Find file: "
prompt; and if I redirect standard input from /dev/null it reports
"After 0 kbd macro iterations: Error reading from stdin"

--
Kevin