all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie syntax highlighting question
@ 2006-04-18 23:55 kramer.newsreader
From: kramer.newsreader @ 2006-04-18 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to write a syntax highlighting module for the MODL language
which is very similar to c.  I'd like to see the c highlighting code
and just modify it somewhat for my purposes.  Can someone tell me where
I can find that code?

I'm running emacs 21.3 on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: newbie syntax highlighting question
@ 2006-04-19  8:18 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2006-04-19  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

kramer.newsreader@gmail.com writes:

> Can someone tell me where
> I can find that code?

GNU emacs source can be traced from:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

thi

* Re: newbie syntax highlighting question
@ 2006-04-19  8:53 ` Peter Tury
       [not found] ` <mailman.586.1145464004.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Tury @ 2006-04-19  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Apr 2006 16:55:42 -0700, kramer.newsreader@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to write a syntax highlighting module for the MODL language
> which is very similar to c.  I'd like to see the c highlighting code
> and just modify it somewhat for my purposes.  Can someone tell me where
> I can find that code?

I use cvs Emacs (v22), but I think these can help (if you asked for the .el
source of C highlighting stuff in Emacs, and not the C sources of Emacs):

- if you enabled font-lock mode, then open a C file and type C-h m, you
should see some description of C mode (under the list of minor modes!)...

- check your-emacs-dir\lisp\progmodes\cc-mode.el (search e.g. for font-lock
or c-font-lock-init...). See also cc-fonts.el.

- but I think the best if you start consulting the Emacs Lisp manual (what
is part of Emacs 22, not part of Emacs 21, but you can find it online) at
the subchapter "Font Lock Mode".

- Maybe font-lock-add-keywords is enough for starting!

Br,

* Re: newbie syntax highlighting question
@ 2006-04-19 16:24 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.586.1145464004.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-19 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

kramer.newsreader@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to write a syntax highlighting module for the MODL language
> which is very similar to c.  I'd like to see the c highlighting code
> and just modify it somewhat for my purposes.  Can someone tell me where
> I can find that code?

Trust me, you do not want to modify that code.  Instead, try
`C-h f define-derived-mode' and take a look at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CreateNewMajorMode

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2006-04-19 17:16   ` kramer.newsreader
From: kramer.newsreader @ 2006-04-19 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks guys!  All are good answers.  I'll start sifting though them...