all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Images, display-time, modeline
@ 2007-04-20 22:02 Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-04-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, all...

I have a (hopefully) brief few questions, all relating to
things that have changed in my Emacs since upgrading to GNU
Emacs 22.0.97.2 2007-04-15. Note that I am duly impressed in
general with CVS Emacs. None of these are too pressing, but
are things I'd like to get resolved.

1) Some images simply don't appear in emacs-w3m (Debian
   testing version) anymore (though some do). For example,
   no google logos appear on google pages (not that that
   particular example is necessarily a bad thing); in
   addition, the modeline icons for w3m have disappeared.

2) Though `display-time-use-mail-icon' is true, no icon
   displays in the modeline, despite the icon listed in
   `display-time-mail-icon' definitely existing. Instead, I
   get the longer "Mail" string, which kind of stinks
   because space is at a premium.

3) Mysteriously, now the location information (for example,
   "All (29,6)" appears *before* the mode notification,
   whereas before it all appeared at the very end of the
   modeline. Very strange. While it's nice always being able
   to see this, I'd kind of like it back on the end, just
   because it's what I'm used to.

If anybody has any suggestions as to fixes for these things,
it would be appreciated. Sorry that I'm not seeking
help/sending to the whole list to fix less trivial/more
disastrous problems, but I guess that just means the
developers are (surprise, surprise) doing a good job.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

* Re: Images, display-time, modeline
       [not found] <mailman.2338.1177106588.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-21  1:31 ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2343.1177121073.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-21  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton wrote:

> things that have changed in my Emacs since upgrading to GNU
> Emacs 22.0.97.2 2007-04-15.
[...]
> 1) Some images simply don't appear in emacs-w3m (Debian
>    testing version) anymore (though some do).
[...]
> 2) Though `display-time-use-mail-icon' is true, no icon
>    displays in the modeline, despite the icon listed in
>    `display-time-mail-icon' definitely existing.

Maybe your new Emacs was compiled without support for some image
types. What is the actual setting for display-time-mail-icon, and what
does this return:

(mapcar (lambda (type) (if (image-type-available-p type) type))
  image-types)

> 3) Mysteriously, now the location information (for example,
>    "All (29,6)" appears *before* the mode notification,
>    whereas before it all appeared at the very end of the
>    modeline. Very strange.

It was moved nearer the start so that it would be always visible. Not
that mysterious, surely?

> While it's nice always being able to see this, I'd kind of like it
> back on the end, just because it's what I'm used to.

You can probably customize mode-line-format. You want to move the
"mode-line-position" part after the "global-mode-string" part, I
imagine.

* Re: Images, display-time, modeline
@ 2007-04-21  2:04   ` Amy Templeton
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2343.1177121073.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-04-21  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Maybe your new Emacs was compiled without support for some image
> types. What is the actual setting for display-time-mail-icon

(image :type pbm
       :file "~/vc/cvs/emacs/2007-04-15/share/emacs/22.0.97/etc/letter.pbm"
       :ascent center)

> what does this return:
> (mapcar (lambda (type) (if (image-type-available-p type)
> type)) image-types)

(png jpeg postscript xbm pbm)

> It was moved nearer the start so that it would be always
> visible. Not that mysterious, surely?

Touché.

> You can probably customize mode-line-format. You want to
> move the "mode-line-position" part after the
> "global-mode-string" part, I imagine.

Aha, I'll look further into that. Out of curiosity, do you
know if it's safe to remove all the bits about mouse stuff
in the mode-line-format? Since I never actually use the
mouse, it's not exactly of any use and just makes the whole
thing all the more confusing.

Thanks a lot,

@ 2007-04-21 18:29     ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2416.1177354214.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-21 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton wrote:

> (image :type pbm
>        :file "~/vc/cvs/emacs/2007-04-15/share/emacs/22.0.97/etc/letter.pbm"
>        :ascent center)

Looks fine to me. What's the value of display-time-string-forms, and
of display-time-string when you have mail? What happens if you
evaluate the following in the scratch buffer:

(insert (propertize "foo" 'display display-time-mail-icon))

Does it change if you switch to letter.xbm?

>> (mapcar (lambda (type) (if (image-type-available-p type)
>> type)) image-types)
>
> (png jpeg postscript xbm pbm)

You don't have gif support, which explains why Google logos don't
appear.

> Out of curiosity, do you know if it's safe to remove all the bits
> about mouse stuff in the mode-line-format?

Sure.

* Re: Images, display-time, modeline
@ 2007-04-23 18:49       ` Amy Templeton
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2416.1177354214.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-04-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:
> What's the value of display-time-string-forms

((if
     (and (not display-time-format) display-time-day-and-date)
     (format-time-string "%a %b %e " now) "")
 (format-time-string
  (or display-time-format
      (if display-time-24hr-format
	  "%H:%M"
	"%-I:%M%p")))
 (if mail
     (concat " "
	     (propertize
	      "Mail" ... ... ... "mouse-2: Read mail" ... ...))
   ""))

> and of display-time-string when you have mail?

#("2:38PM Mail" 0 7 nil 7 11 (display
			      (when (and display-time-use-mail-icon ...)
				image :type pbm
				:file "~/vc/cvs/emacs/2007-04-15/share/emacs/22.0.97/etc/letter.pbm"
				:ascent center
				:background unspecified)
			      help-echo "mouse-2: Read mail"
			      local-map (keymap (mode-line
			      keymap ...))))

Incidentally, what do all the ...'s mean? They don't seem to
be either a function or a variable.

> You don't have gif support, which explains why Google
> logos don't appear.

Oh, duh, I guess I just forgot to ask the configure script
for that. Next update, I guess.

> What happens if you evaluate the following in the scratch
> buffer:

> (insert (propertize "foo" 'display display-time-mail-icon))

It inserts the icon!

> Does it change if you switch to letter.xbm?

I've tried pointing display-time-mail-icon to that and it
didn't show up in the modeline.

> Does it change if you switch to letter.xbm?

Instead, it prints "foo."

Any ideas on what this all means?

Thanks,

@ 2007-04-23 22:24         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton wrote:

>> What's the value of display-time-string-forms
>
> ((if
>      (and (not display-time-format) display-time-day-and-date)
>      (format-time-string "%a %b %e " now) "")
>  (format-time-string
>   (or display-time-format
>       (if display-time-24hr-format
> 	  "%H:%M"
> 	"%-I:%M%p")))
>  (if mail
>      (concat " "
> 	     (propertize
> 	      "Mail" ... ... ... "mouse-2: Read mail" ... ...))
>    ""))

As shown there, that seems to be missing a few pieces, but probably
should not read too much into that.

> Incidentally, what do all the ...'s mean? They don't seem to be
> either a function or a variable.

Just that the printing was truncated. Probably see
eval-expression-print-level, eval-expression-print-length.

>> (insert (propertize "foo" 'display display-time-mail-icon))
>
> It inserts the icon!

OK, so try: (put 'display-time-string 'risky-local-variable t)

though you should not need to. Do you have this problem with:

emacs -q --no-site-file \
  --eval '(progn (setq display-time-use-mail-icon t) (display-time-mode 1))'

when you have mail?

* Re: Images, display-time, modeline
@ 2007-04-23 23:21           ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-04-23 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Amy Templeton wrote:
> > Glenn Morris wrote:
> > > What's the value of display-time-string-forms
> > Incidentally, what do all the ...'s mean? They don't
> > seem to be either a function or a variable.
>
> Just that the printing was truncated. Probably see
> eval-expression-print-level, eval-expression-print-length.

Well, that would make sense, I suppose. Thanks.

> > > (insert (propertize "foo" 'display display-time-mail-icon))
> >
> > It inserts the icon!
>
> OK, so try: (put 'display-time-string 'risky-local-variable t)

The "t" shows up in the message bar and nothing immediately
obvious changes...

> Do you have this problem with:
>
> emacs -q --no-site-file \
>   --eval '(progn (setq display-time-use-mail-icon t) (display-time-mode 1))'
>
> when you have mail?

As it turns out, no...the icon displays with no problems.
Very strange. And nothing immediately obvious changes there
if I use the (put 'display-time-string 'risky-local-variable t)
there, either.

Thanks,
Amy