all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* makeing a buffer stick, preventing the new buffer from override.
@ 2006-04-09 14:53 amit.man
From: amit.man @ 2006-04-09 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

i am new to emacs. i've done some java programing with it andthere was
one thing that kept annoying me. i work with two buffers simultanly
(split screen), and every time i compile one of them the "compile
buffer" dont jumped out into a new buffer, it overide one of the
exsiting buffers. my questions are:

1. is there a way to make the "compile buffer" jump out into a new
buffer instead of over an open one?

2. is there a way to make a buffer "stick", in the sense that it wont
be over ridden or close unless i allow it?

thanks in advance,
amit man

* Re: makeing a buffer stick, preventing the new buffer from override.
@ 2006-04-09 16:35 ` Rupert Swarbrick
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2006-04-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

amit.man@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> i am new to emacs. i've done some java programing with it andthere was
> one thing that kept annoying me. i work with two buffers simultanly
> (split screen), and every time i compile one of them the "compile
> buffer" dont jumped out into a new buffer, it overide one of the
> exsiting buffers. my questions are:
>
> 1. is there a way to make the "compile buffer" jump out into a new
> buffer instead of over an open one?
>
> 2. is there a way to make a buffer "stick", in the sense that it wont
> be over ridden or close unless i allow it?
>
> thanks in advance,
> amit man
A trick I used before I started using ECB, which does that sort of thing
for you, was to open up a third window (C-x 2 in the lower one) and
resize them to the sizes I wanted.

I'd compile once and usually it put *compile* in the right place. If
not, just use some (C-x,b)'ing to put *compile* where you want it. Now,
next time it's run, it already has a window, so won't hijack one of the
ones you want.

Rupert

* Re: makeing a buffer stick, preventing the new buffer from override.
@ 2006-04-09 17:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.04.2006 um 16:53 schrieb amit.man@gmail.com:

> 1. is there a way to make the "compile buffer" jump out into a new
> buffer instead of over an open one?

You could create a new (small) frame containing only the
*compilation* buffer.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

* Re: makeing a buffer stick, preventing the new buffer from override.
@ 2006-04-09 20:39 ` Nikos Apostolakis
From: Nikos Apostolakis @ 2006-04-09 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"amit.man@gmail.com" <amit.man@gmail.com> writes:

> 2. is there a way to make a buffer "stick", in the sense that it wont
> be over ridden or close unless i allow it?

In the Debian package "emacs-goodies-el" there is a command "M-x
dedicate-mode".

,----[ (info "(emacs-goodies-el) dedicated") ]
|    This minor mode allows you to toggle a window's "dedicated" flag.
| When a window is "dedicated", Emacs will not select files into that
| window. This can be quite handy since many commands will use another
| window to show results (e.g., compilation mode, starting info, etc.) A
| dedicated window won't be used for such a purpose.
`----

Google for "dedicated-mode".

HTH,
Nikos

> thanks in advance,
> amit man

* Re: makeing a buffer stick, preventing the new buffer from override.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-10 15:00 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

amit.man@gmail.com wrote:
> i am new to emacs. i've done some java programing with it andthere was
> one thing that kept annoying me. i work with two buffers simultanly
> (split screen), and every time i compile one of them the "compile
> buffer" dont jumped out into a new buffer, it overide one of the
> exsiting buffers. my questions are:
>
> 1. is there a way to make the "compile buffer" jump out into a new
> buffer instead of over an open one?
>
> 2. is there a way to make a buffer "stick", in the sense that it wont
> be over ridden or close unless i allow it?

(setq special-display-buffer-names
       (cons "*compilation*" special-display-buffer-names))

--
Kevin Rodgers