all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* XMODIFIERS
@ 2016-07-02  1:54 Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2016-07-02  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Old news] emacs needs to have XMODIFIERS unset for compose to work:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gnu.emacs.help/hBA42H2chGM/2Xfa1ce2LlMJ

If one is using client-server emacs which is the one that needs?
[I find the behavior erratic]

* Re: XMODIFIERS
@ 2016-07-02  2:09 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2016-07-02  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 7:24:07 AM UTC+5:30, Rusi wrote:
> [Old news] emacs needs to have XMODIFIERS unset for compose to work:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gnu.emacs.help/hBA42H2chGM/2Xfa1ce2LlMJ
>
> If one is using client-server emacs which is the one that needs?
> [I find the behavior erratic]

Saw (on python list) that
$ export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
may make it work

So did that; no unsetting of XMODIFIERS and it started working
Now restoring both to prior... keeps it working!!
[No client server stuff; just plain emacs]

So as before, too erratic to debug (for me)

* Re: XMODIFIERS
@ 2016-07-05  1:36 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2016-07-05  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 7:24:07 AM UTC+5:30, Rusi wrote:
> [Old news] emacs needs to have XMODIFIERS unset for compose to work:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gnu.emacs.help/hBA42H2chGM/2Xfa1ce2LlMJ
>
> If one is using client-server emacs which is the one that needs?
> [I find the behavior erratic]

A small step towards figuring out...
XMODIFIERS needs to be unset for server not client
I missed it because I was starting the server in desktop startup