all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: where is the scratch buffer
@ 2006-03-31  6:58 ` Wolfram Kraus
From: Wolfram Kraus @ 2006-03-31  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Weselle wrote:
> Hi
>
> a problem which I have not found a solution for.
> when I write something in the scratch buffer and save it as a file, then
> kill this "file" I lose the scratch buffer, how do I get it back.
>
> thanks

Just switch to the *scratch* buffer. Emacs will (re)create every
non-exiting buffer:
C-x b *scratch* [RET]

HTH,
Wolfram

* Re: where is the scratch buffer
@ 2006-03-31  9:26     ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-03-31  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com> writes:

> "Wolfram Kraus" <kraus@hagen-partner.de> wrote in message
>> Gary Weselle wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > a problem which I have not found a solution for.
>> > when I write something in the scratch buffer and save it as a file, then
>> > kill this "file" I lose the scratch buffer, how do I get it back.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >

>> Just switch to the *scratch* buffer. Emacs will (re)create every
>> non-exiting buffer:
>> C-x b *scratch* [RET]
>>
>> HTH,
>> Wolfram
>
> well, that is the point, there is not *scratch* in the buffer Menu when C-x
> b is hit.

But if you type in *scratch* there will be a new one. Makes no
difference to the one you deleted.

Greetings
Malte

* Re: where is the scratch buffer
@ 2006-03-31 14:44       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2006-03-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Malte Spiess <mail@malte-spiess.de> writes:

> But if you type in *scratch* there will be a new one.
> Makes no difference to the one you deleted.

below is source for a command you can bind to a key.

thi

;;; give-me-a-scratch-buffer-now.el
;;;
;;; Rel:v-1-55
;;;
;;; Copyright (C) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998,2004 Thien-Thi Nguyen
;;; This file is part of ttn's personal elisp library, released under GNU
;;; GPL with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  See the file COPYING for details.

;;; Prefix arg guarantees new buffer.

;;;###autoload
(defun give-me-a-scratch-buffer-now (want-new)
  "Bring up *scratch* or younger siblings if prefixed."
  (interactive "P")

  (switch-to-buffer
   (if want-new
       (generate-new-buffer "*scratch*")
     "*scratch*"))
  (lisp-interaction-mode))

(provide 'give-me-a-scratch-buffer-now)

;;; give-me-a-scratch-buffer-now.el ends here

* Re: where is the scratch buffer
@ 2006-03-31 16:22     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-31 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Weselle wrote:
> "Wolfram Kraus" <kraus@hagen-partner.de> wrote in message
>
>>Gary Weselle wrote:
>>
>>>a problem which I have not found a solution for.
>>>when I write something in the scratch buffer and save it as a file, then
>>>kill this "file" I lose the scratch buffer, how do I get it back.
>>
>>Just switch to the *scratch* buffer. Emacs will (re)create every
>>non-exiting buffer:
>>C-x b *scratch* [RET]
>
> well, that is the point, there is not *scratch* in the buffer Menu when C-x
> b is hit.

*scratch* is not there because you implicitly renamed it, by making it
visit the file:

,----[ C-h k C-x C-w ]
| C-x C-w runs the command write-file
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `files'.
| (write-file FILENAME &optional CONFIRM)
|
| Write current buffer into file FILENAME.
| This makes the buffer visit that file, and marks it as not modified.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| If you specify just a directory name as FILENAME, that means to use
| the default file name but in that directory.  You can also yank
| the default file name into the minibuffer to edit it, using M-n.
|
| If the buffer is not already visiting a file, the default file name
| for the output file is the buffer name.
|
| If optional second arg CONFIRM is non-nil, this function
| asks for confirmation before overwriting an existing file.
| Interactively, confirmation is required unless you supply a prefix
argument.
`----

(`C-x C-s' does the same thing.)

BTW, using the *scratch* buffer for new files is not a good idea, since
it is not autosaved (you could lose your work if Emacs crashes -- or
more likely, your computer).

--
Kevin Rodgers

* where is the scratch buffer