all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* DELETE/C-h confusion
@ 2014-07-27 22:22 Sergey Ivanes
From: Sergey Ivanes @ 2014-07-27 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everyone,

Going through the tutorial on emacs, I got stuck on the deleting part, because by default DELETE key sends me to help. I've tried adding a few commands to the .emacs file such as (normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 1), but now, though when I press DELETE it does what it's supposed to, when I press C-h t, which is something I need to get back to the tutorial, it gets stuck on the notepad. Before the change to .emacs, C-h would send me to notepad and upon pressing t would send me to the tutorial. What's the solution to this? I’m using a MacBook.

* Re: DELETE/C-h confusion
@ 2014-07-28  1:02 ` Jacob Gerlach
From: Jacob Gerlach @ 2014-07-28  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sergey Ivanes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I haven't dealt with this personally, but the wiki seems to have some
material that might help:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/BackspaceKey

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Sergey Ivanes <sergey.ivanes@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Going through the tutorial on emacs, I got stuck on the deleting part,
> because by default DELETE key sends me to help. I've tried adding a few
> commands to the .emacs file such as (normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 1), but
> now, though when I press DELETE it does what it's supposed to, when I press
> C-h t, which is something I need to get back to the tutorial, it gets stuck
> on the notepad. Before the change to .emacs, C-h would send me to notepad
> and upon pressing t would send me to the tutorial. What's the solution to
> this? I’m using a MacBook.

* RE: DELETE/C-h confusion
@ 2014-07-28  1:13   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-07-28  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jacob Gerlach, Sergey Ivanes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

http://stackoverflow.com/q/24986066/729907

Hopefully someone can help Sergey more than I was able to.
(Perhaps someone with a Mac?)