all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reply to a message in a buffer
@ 2008-12-08 19:20 Saptarshi
From: Saptarshi @ 2008-12-08 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I don't use GNUS but I do use GMail. I sometimes copy the message from
a gmail (by selecting the original source sans headers from GMail)
paste it in an emacs buffer and turn on message-mode. However, this
treats the buffer as the message, whereas I would like to reply to the
message in the buffer.

Is there a message-mode function that will reply(create a new buffer)
to a buffer that contains an email message?
Thanks and regards
Saptarshi

* Re: Reply to a message in a buffer
@ 2008-12-09 22:30 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-12-09 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 8, 11:20 am, Saptarshi <saptarshi.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't use GNUS but I do use GMail. I sometimes copy the message from
> a gmail (by selecting the original source sans headers from GMail)
> paste it in an emacs buffer and turn on message-mode. However, this
> treats the buffer as the message, whereas I would like to reply to the
> message in the buffer.
>
> Is there a message-mode function that will reply(create a new buffer)
> to a buffer that contains an email message?
> Thanks and regards
> Saptarshi

if i understand your question correctly, you basically just want a way
to create a new buffer.

you can use switch-to-buffer (Ctrl+x b), then give a random name.

if you are using my ergo map package, you can just call new-empty-
buffer (Ctrl+n).

  http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

----------------

it would be nice if there's a emacs package that interface with GMail.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Reply to a message in a buffer
@ 2009-02-04  1:08   ` Saptarshi
From: Saptarshi @ 2009-02-04  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> if i understand your question correctly, you basically just want a way
> to create a new buffer.
>
> you can use switch-to-buffer (Ctrl+x b), then give a random name.
>
> if you are using my ergo map package, you can just call new-empty-
> buffer (Ctrl+n).
>
>  http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

I saw this message rather late. Actually, suppose I take your message
as an example  which i've pasted below.
What I wanted is to copy this , paste it in a buffer and in message
mode reply to this, so that I get all the features of message mode
( snippet handling, automatic > prefix etc)
However, if i turn on message mode, its treats the buffer content *my*
response.

Thank you

"