all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What make the modeline update the major mode entry?
@ 2010-03-27  2:27 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-03-27  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Can someone please tell me what makes Emacs update the major mode
entry in the modeline?

I am seeing a strange thing in nXhtml where this is updated when I
change the buffer with one command, but not with another.

* RE: What make the modeline update the major mode entry?
@ 2010-03-27  6:33 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-27  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman', 'Emacs-Devel devel'

> Can someone please tell me what makes Emacs update the major mode
> entry in the modeline?

grep for `mode-line-buffer-identification' in the Lisp source code. You'll see
plenty of hits like `dired-mode' and `info.el' - places where the variable is
set.

* RE: What make the modeline update the major mode entry?
@ 2010-03-27  6:46   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-27  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman', 'Emacs-Devel devel'

> > Can someone please tell me what makes Emacs update the major mode
> > entry in the modeline?
>
> grep for `mode-line-buffer-identification' in the Lisp source
> code. You'll see plenty of hits like `dired-mode' and `info.el'
> - places where the variable is set.

Those locations set the format, but they do not update the display.

Depending on what you meant, you might also want to look for `mode_line_format'
and `display_mode_line' in `xdisp.c'. That seems to be where the actual
displaying takes place.

* Re: What make the modeline update the major mode entry?
@ 2010-03-28 16:44 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2010-03-28 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

> Can someone please tell me what makes Emacs update the major mode
> entry in the modeline?

I fear it's too simple an answer, but does `force-mode-line-update'
(and/or its implementation) help?

Davis

shipping.