all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* view-lossage and passwords
@ 2010-02-27  8:41 mandar.mitra
From: mandar.mitra @ 2010-02-27  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At various times (e.g. when I am using a terminal) within emacs, I
need to enter my password. This is, by default, stored in my typing
history, and becomes visible with view-lossage. Is there some way to
prevent passwords from being recorded in typing history, so that if I
run view-lossage (usually accidentally), my password won't show up on
screen?

I've looked around on the web a bit, but didn't find anything that
addresses this. Thanks for any tips,
Mandar.

* Fwd: view-lossage and passwords
@ 2010-02-27 13:44 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-02-27 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Is this a known problem?

At various times (e.g. when I am using a terminal) within emacs, I
need to enter my password. This is, by default, stored in my typing
history, and becomes visible with view-lossage. Is there some way to
prevent passwords from being recorded in typing history, so that if I
run view-lossage (usually accidentally), my password won't show up on
screen?

I've looked around on the web a bit, but didn't find anything that
addresses this. Thanks for any tips,
Mandar.

* Re: view-lossage and passwords
@ 2010-02-27 16:19 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-02-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mandar.mitra wrote:
> At various times (e.g. when I am using a terminal) within emacs, I
> need to enter my password. This is, by default, stored in my typing
> history, and becomes visible with view-lossage. Is there some way to
> prevent passwords from being recorded in typing history, so that if I
> run view-lossage (usually accidentally), my password won't show up on
> screen?
>
> I've looked around on the web a bit, but didn't find anything that
> addresses this. Thanks for any tips,
> Mandar.

Hi,

that's a bug and security risk IMO. It should never happen.

Please report it: M-x report-emacs-bug

Thanks

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: view-lossage and passwords
@ 2010-02-28 19:33   ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2010-02-28 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Röhler, Lennart Borgman, mandar.mitra; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I just used Emacs built-in bug-reporting facility (M-x
report-emacs-bug RET) and among some other information this includes
the lossage, so if passwords are included in the lossage this is
definitely a security bug. I just tried that with Emacs 23.1.1 and I
can't confirm that bug, it looks like the lossage is flushed after the
password prompt finishes.

Geralt.

* Re: view-lossage and passwords
@ 2010-03-01  9:35     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-03-01  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Geralt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just used Emacs built-in bug-reporting facility (M-x
> report-emacs-bug RET) and among some other information this includes
> the lossage, so if passwords are included in the lossage this is
> definitely a security bug. I just tried that with Emacs 23.1.1 and I
> can't confirm that bug, it looks like the lossage is flushed after the
> password prompt finishes.
>

> Geralt.

Hi,

it's not flushed in a similar case with

In GNU Emacs 23.1.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0)
 of 2010-02-19

filed a bug report meanwhile:

Andreas