all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recover file hints at startup
@ 2009-12-23 12:50 Richard Lewis
From: Richard Lewis @ 2009-12-23 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

I run Emacs 23 in daemon mode and occasionally it crashes. Sometimes
this means that autosave files (#...#) are left lying around for my
org-mode files. This causes a problem when restarting the Emacs
daemon: when starting org-mode it prompts that such-and-such.org has
unsaved changes, consider using M-x recover-this-file and then waits
for me to hit return.

This is fine, except when my Emacs daemon is starting without a
controlling terminal (e.g. when it starts as part of my login
process). It ends up waiting indefinitely for keyboard input.

Any ideas how I can fix this?
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Richard Lewis

* Re: Recover file hints at startup
@ 2009-12-23 22:19 ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2009-12-23 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lewis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Lewis <richardlewis@fastmail.co.uk> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I run Emacs 23 in daemon mode and occasionally it crashes. Sometimes
> this means that autosave files (#...#) are left lying around for my
> org-mode files. This causes a problem when restarting the Emacs
> daemon: when starting org-mode it prompts that such-and-such.org has
> unsaved changes, consider using M-x recover-this-file and then waits
> for me to hit return.
>
> This is fine, except when my Emacs daemon is starting without a
> controlling terminal (e.g. when it starts as part of my login
> process). It ends up waiting indefinitely for keyboard input.
>
> Any ideas how I can fix this?
the fancy one is dont do this :).

* Re: Recover file hints at startup
@ 2009-12-23 22:35   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.151.1261692550.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-12-23 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Alex Dias Prado; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Richard Lewis

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Glauber Alex Dias Prado
<smade4@gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Lewis <richardlewis@fastmail.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I run Emacs 23 in daemon mode and occasionally it crashes. Sometimes
>> this means that autosave files (#...#) are left lying around for my
>> org-mode files. This causes a problem when restarting the Emacs
>> daemon: when starting org-mode it prompts that such-and-such.org has
>> unsaved changes, consider using M-x recover-this-file and then waits
>> for me to hit return.
>>
>> This is fine, except when my Emacs daemon is starting without a
>> controlling terminal (e.g. when it starts as part of my login
>> process). It ends up waiting indefinitely for keyboard input.
>>
>> Any ideas how I can fix this?
> the fancy one is dont do this :).

A less glamorous answer is perhaps "send a bug report". With a fix or
without a fix.

* Re: Recover file hints at startup
@ 2009-12-24 22:06     ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
       [not found]     ` <mailman.151.1261692550.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2009-12-24 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Richard Lewis

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Glauber Alex Dias Prado
> <smade4@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Richard Lewis <richardlewis@fastmail.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I run Emacs 23 in daemon mode and occasionally it crashes. Sometimes
>>> this means that autosave files (#...#) are left lying around for my
>>> org-mode files. This causes a problem when restarting the Emacs
>>> daemon: when starting org-mode it prompts that such-and-such.org has
>>> unsaved changes, consider using M-x recover-this-file and then waits
>>> for me to hit return.
>>>
>>> This is fine, except when my Emacs daemon is starting without a
>>> controlling terminal (e.g. when it starts as part of my login
>>> process). It ends up waiting indefinitely for keyboard input.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how I can fix this?
>> the fancy one is dont do this :).
>

> A less glamorous answer is perhaps "send a bug report". With a fix or
> without a fix.
i said that cause i like to see emacs starting up and dont think it is a
good idea to start it automatically at background, so dont do this,
sorry for missing the explanation.

@ 2009-12-24 22:16       ` Richard Lewis
From: Richard Lewis @ 2009-12-24 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

At Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:06:49 -0200,
Glauber Alex Dias Prado wrote:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Glauber Alex Dias Prado
> > <smade4@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> the fancy one is dont do this :).
> >

> > A less glamorous answer is perhaps "send a bug report". With a fix or
> > without a fix.
> i said that cause i like to see emacs starting up and dont think it is a
> good idea to start it automatically at background, so dont do this,
> sorry for missing the explanation.

Yes, I guessed that was what you were thinking. Doesn't mean that I
shouldn't want to be able to do it, though.
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Richard Lewis
ISMS, Computing
Goldsmiths, University of London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7078 5134
Skype: richardjlewis

@ 2009-12-25  0:15         ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2009-12-25  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lewis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Lewis <richardlewis@fastmail.co.uk> writes:

> At Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:06:49 -0200,
> Glauber Alex Dias Prado wrote:

okay, you can redefine de function after-find-file on your .emacs and
comment out the line containing (file-newer-than-file-p ...) on its
definition at files.el

>> > A less glamorous answer is perhaps "send a bug report". With a fix or
>> > without a fix.
>> i said that cause i like to see emacs starting up and dont think it is a
>> good idea to start it automatically at background, so dont do this,
>> sorry for missing the explanation.
>>
> Yes, I guessed that was what you were thinking. Doesn't mean that I
> shouldn't want to be able to do it, though.
surely

* Re: Recover file hints at startup
@ 2009-12-25  0:34           ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2009-12-25  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lewis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Lewis <richardlewis@fastmail.co.uk> writes:
>
>> At Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:06:49 -0200,
>> Glauber Alex Dias Prado wrote:

> okay, you can redefine de function after-find-file on your .emacs and
> comment out the line containing (file-newer-than-file-p ...) on its
> definition at files.el

thinking more about, you could then re-redefine it to its default trough a
hook with delay at after-init-hook, ugly but would work for your needs i
think.