all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Similar key bindings for moving among tags in sgml and nxml modes?
@ 2009-11-26  0:16 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-26  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

I have these routines for moving between tags. I saw now that there
are rather similar sgm functions. Could we please add the same key
bindings to nxml-mode that are used in sgml modes for these?

The first two corresponds to sgml-skip-element-forward/backward.

I do not know the corresponding functions for the last two.

;;; Convenient moving by tags:
(eval-after-load 'nxml-mode
  '(progn
     (define-key nxml-mode-map [C-M-left]  'nxml-backward-element)
     (define-key nxml-mode-map [C-M-right] 'nxml-forward-element)
     (define-key nxml-mode-map [C-M-up]    'nxml-backward-up-element)
     (define-key nxml-mode-map [C-M-down]  'nxml-down-element)))

* Re: Similar key bindings for moving among tags in sgml and nxml modes?
@ 2009-11-26  0:44 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-11-26  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> I have these routines for moving between tags. I saw now that there
> are rather similar sgm functions. Could we please add the same key
> bindings to nxml-mode that are used in sgml modes for these?

No, adding different key bindings is the wrong way.  The right way is to
make emacs sexp-movement commands (which are even already bound globally
to the keys you suggest) work properly in nxml-mode .

... and in fact, that's already supported!

Just do:  (setq nxml-sexp-element-flag t)

[I think that should even be the default, but what do I know...]

-Miles

--
Idiot, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human
affairs has always been dominant and controlling.

* Re: Similar key bindings for moving among tags in sgml and nxml  modes?
@ 2009-11-26  1:32   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-26  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have these routines for moving between tags. I saw now that there
>> are rather similar sgm functions. Could we please add the same key
>> bindings to nxml-mode that are used in sgml modes for these?
>
> No, adding different key bindings is the wrong way.  The right way is to
> make emacs sexp-movement commands (which are even already bound globally
> to the keys you suggest) work properly in nxml-mode .
>
> ... and in fact, that's already supported!
>
> Just do:  (setq nxml-sexp-element-flag t)
>
> [I think that should even be the default, but what do I know...]

Thanks. I forgot that flag. I agree it should be on by default.

I think you are right that using the sexp movement is the best. But
what about html-mode/sgml-mode then? Is there also some flag to set to
get this behaviour?

* Re: Similar key bindings for moving among tags in sgml and nxml modes?
@ 2009-11-27 17:07   ` Gilaras Drakeson
From: Gilaras Drakeson @ 2009-11-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> No, adding different key bindings is the wrong way.  The right way is to
> make emacs sexp-movement commands (which are even already bound globally
> to the keys you suggest) work properly in nxml-mode .
>
> ... and in fact, that's already supported!
>
> Just do:  (setq nxml-sexp-element-flag t)
>
> [I think that should even be the default, but what do I know...]

In addition, I would vote for paredit keybindings, too.

--
Gilaras