all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* opening images in auctex
@ 2009-11-22 16:32 andrea abelli
From: andrea abelli @ 2009-11-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

  is there a way to open an image, in an external viewer/editor, that
is being previewed by preview-latex?

thx in advance,
aa

* Re: opening images in auctex
@ 2009-11-22 20:30 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.11286.1258921821.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: andrea abelli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.11.2009 um 17:32 schrieb andrea abelli:

>   is there a way to open an image, in an external viewer/editor, that
> is being previewed by preview-latex?

Of course. Any PNG viewer will do. For example GNU Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
				- Groucho Marx

* Re: opening images in auctex
       [not found] ` <mailman.11286.1258921821.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-22 20:40   ` andrea abelli
From: andrea abelli @ 2009-11-22 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 22, 9:30 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 22.11.2009 um 17:32 schrieb andrea abelli:
>
> >   is there a way to open an image, in an external viewer/editor, that
> > is being previewed by preview-latex?
>
> Of course. Any PNG viewer will do. For example GNU Emacs.
Hi,

  I was looking for some command that would have launched, say, gimp
to edit the image.

* Re: opening images in auctex
@ 2009-11-22 21:00     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11290.1258923681.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-22 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: andrea abelli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:40 PM, andrea abelli <andrea@abelli.org> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 9:30 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
>> Am 22.11.2009 um 17:32 schrieb andrea abelli:
>>
>> >   is there a way to open an image, in an external viewer/editor, that
>> > is being previewed by preview-latex?
>>
>> Of course. Any PNG viewer will do. For example GNU Emacs.
> Hi,
>
>  I was looking for some command that would have launched, say, gimp
> to edit the image.

There is some support for that in nXhtml. It has two kinds of supports
for images:

- Open an image link in GIMP (gimpedit.el)
- Showing images inline (inlimg.el)

That support is not tailored for .tex files yet however. If you add
that I would be glad to include it.

* Re: opening images in auctex
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11290.1258923681.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-22 21:22       ` andrea abelli
From: andrea abelli @ 2009-11-22 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 22, 10:00 pm, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> There is some support for that in nXhtml. It has two kinds of supports
> for images:
>
> - Open an image link in GIMP (gimpedit.el)
> - Showing images inline (inlimg.el)
>
> That support is not tailored for .tex files yet however. If you add
> that I would be glad to include it.

Thanks a lot. Asa I've got something, if ever, I'll let you know.
Thanks again,
aa

* Re: opening images in auctex
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11290.1258923681.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-22 21:43     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-22 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: andrea abelli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.11.2009 um 21:40 schrieb andrea abelli:

>   I was looking for some command that would have launched, say, gimp
> to edit the image.

Open the sub-directory with the PNG images in dired-mode and type v
on the image entries (dired allows more, I think, for example !, but
I use this so seldom...)

--
Greetings

   Pete

What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software
'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

* Re: opening images in auctex
       [not found] ` <mailman.11286.1258921821.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-22 23:59 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-11-22 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

andrea abelli <andrea@abelli.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   is there a way to open an image, in an external viewer/editor, that
> is being previewed by preview-latex?
>
> thx in advance,
> aa

The preview-images are displayed as overlays containing a link to
the image-files in there properties.
Here is a rough sketch :

(defun tex-open-preview-at-point ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((ov (car (overlays-at (point))))
        (file (plist-get (cdr (overlay-get ov 'display))
                         :file)))
    (unless file
      (error "No preview here"))
    (start-process "display" nil "display" file)))

It is some more work, to display the actual image, provided there is one
(like in \includegraphics etc.).  AFAICS preview-latex does not
determine this.

But using the overlay region and ffap-file-at-point and expecting the
filename inside '{}' would be a good starting point.

-ap

* Re: opening images in auctex
@ 2009-11-23  0:04   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-23  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> andrea abelli <andrea@abelli.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   is there a way to open an image, in an external viewer/editor, that
>> is being previewed by preview-latex?
>>
>> thx in advance,
>> aa
>

> The preview-images are displayed as overlays containing a link to
> the image-files in there properties.
> Here is a rough sketch :
>
> (defun tex-open-preview-at-point ()
>  (interactive)
>  (let ((ov (car (overlays-at (point))))
>        (file (plist-get (cdr (overlay-get ov 'display))
>                         :file)))
>    (unless file
>      (error "No preview here"))
>    (start-process "display" nil "display" file)))
>

> It is some more work, to display the actual image, provided there is one
> (like in \includegraphics etc.).  AFAICS preview-latex does not
> determine this.
>
> But using the overlay region and ffap-file-at-point and expecting the
> filename inside '{}' would be a good starting point.

Something like that is used in the general library inlimg.el in nXhtml
that I mentioned before. Please try to add to that if possible so we
can get a general mechanism for this in Emacs.