all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on Windows ignoring "\C-)"
@ 2009-11-16  4:37 Joe
From: Joe @ 2009-11-16  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey all,

Emacs doesn't seem to capture the key sequence "\C-)" (ctrl-shift-0).
This input doesn't appear in (view-lossage).  I've tried loading emacs
without an init and site file and the behavior is the same.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have a solution?

I'm using Windows 7 with:
"GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON"

Thanks,
Joe

* Re: Emacs on Windows ignoring "\C-)"
@ 2009-11-16 10:44 ` Bernardo
       [not found] ` <mailman.10798.1258368281.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bernardo @ 2009-11-16 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hey all,
>
> Emacs doesn't seem to capture the key sequence "\C-)" (ctrl-shift-0).
> This input doesn't appear in (view-lossage).  I've tried loading emacs
> without an init and site file and the behavior is the same.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem, or have a solution?
>
> I'm using Windows 7 with:
> "GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
>  of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON"
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

what happens when you type
C-h k C-)

are there any messages in the echo area or *Messages* buffer?

@ 2009-11-16 18:33   ` Joe
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10823.1258399380.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe @ 2009-11-16 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> what happens when you type
> C-h k C-)
> are there any messages in the echo area or *Messages* buffer?

When I press C-h k C-), emacs (actually `describe-key') continues to
wait for a keypress.  It doesn't do anything in response to C-).

There are no messages in the echo area or in the *Messages* buffer.

Interestingly, if I force the issue by evaluating (describe-key (kbd
"C-)")), emacs reacts correctly and brings up the help for function
associated with the key.

I thought maybe I screwed up something on Windows, but logging in as a
different user results in the same behavior.

Any more ideas?

@ 2009-11-16 18:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Joe <joesmoe10@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:37:30 -0800 (PST)
>
> Hey all,
>
> Emacs doesn't seem to capture the key sequence "\C-)" (ctrl-shift-0).
> This input doesn't appear in (view-lossage).  I've tried loading emacs
> without an init and site file and the behavior is the same.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem, or have a solution?
>
> I'm using Windows 7 with:
> "GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
>  of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON"

I don't see this problem on Windows XP SP2.

* Re: Emacs on Windows ignoring "\C-)"
@ 2009-11-16 19:07   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Joe <joesmoe10@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:37:30 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Emacs doesn't seem to capture the key sequence "\C-)" (ctrl-shift-0).
>> This input doesn't appear in (view-lossage).  I've tried loading emacs
>> without an init and site file and the behavior is the same.
>>
>> Does anyone else have this problem, or have a solution?
>>
>> I'm using Windows 7 with:
>> "GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
>>  of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON"
>
> I don't see this problem on Windows XP SP2.

I do not see this problem either on Windows XP, but I wonder if you
have sticky keys turned on, Joe?

* RE: Emacs on Windows ignoring "\C-)"
@ 2009-11-16 19:22     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10823.1258399380.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Joe', help-gnu-emacs

> When I press C-h k C-), emacs (actually `describe-key') continues to
> wait for a keypress.  It doesn't do anything in response to C-).

Does it look like this in the minibuffer?
 Describe key (or click or menu item):  C-)-
IOW, ending with a with a dash, with the cursor after the dash?

If it does, that's a sign that `C-)' is defined as a prefix key, for some
reason. `C-h k' waits for the rest of the key sequence following the prefix.

You can try this, to try to get some more info: `C-) C-h'. With a little luck,
if `C-)' is in fact a prefix key this will show you help about `C-)' and its
possible completions. The command names bound to the keys might give you a clue
about what library is binding `C-)'.

You say that this also happens to you if you start Emacs using `emacs -Q'? If
so, then consider filing a bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'. AFAIK, `C-)' should not
be bound to anything by default in virgin, vanilla Emacs. (describe-key (kbd
"C-)") should say simply `C-) is undefined'.

If this same behavior does not occur with `emacs -Q', however, then look in your
init file for something that is defining `C-)' (as a prefix key). To find it,
use binary search: comment out half your init file, then half of that, and so
on, until you narrow down the guilty part. Sounds long, but it's actually very
quick to do.

> There are no messages in the echo area or in the *Messages* buffer.
> Interestingly, if I force the issue by evaluating (describe-key (kbd
> "C-)")), emacs reacts correctly and brings up the help for function
> associated with the key.

What does that help say? If it says `C-) is undefined', then there is likely a
problem with `describe-key'. If it gives some command name, then take a look at
the library that defines that command.

@ 2009-11-17  2:47       ` Joe
       [not found]         ` <mailman.10882.1258454661.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe @ 2009-11-17  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

First off, thanks for the replies.  Now to address those replies:

> I don't see this problem on Windows XP SP2.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem is related to Windows 7.  Does
any one
running Vista or Windows 7 have this problem?

> I do not see this problem either on Windows XP, but I wonder if you
> have sticky keys turned on, Joe?

Sticky keys are off.

> Does it look like this in the minibuffer?  Describe key (or click or menu
> item): C-)- IOW, ending with a with a dash, with the cursor after the dash?

No, it completely ignores "C-)".  For example the key sequence:

"C-h k C-) g" results in "C-h k g".  Emacs describes the `self-insert-
command'
because that's what 'g' does.

> You say that this also happens to you if you start Emacs using `emacs -Q'? If
> so, then consider filing a bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'. AFAIK, `C-)' should
> not be bound to anything by default in virgin, vanilla Emacs. (describe-key
> (kbd "C-)") should say simply `C-) is undefined'.

Yes, "emacs -Q" also ignores "C-)".  I'm hesitant to file a bug report
because I
think I might have done something silly on my system.  I'd like to
first see if
"C-)" is recognized in another application.  Are there any Windows
applications
to show keypresses?

> What does that help say?

It shows the help for `paredit-forward-slurp-sexp', which is what I
expect.

* Re: Emacs on Windows ignoring "\C-)"
@ 2009-11-17 10:44         ` Bernardo
       [not found]         ` <mailman.10882.1258454661.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bernardo @ 2009-11-17 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, "emacs -Q" also ignores "C-)".  I'm hesitant to file a bug report
> because I
> think I might have done something silly on my system.  I'd like to
> first see if
> "C-)" is recognized in another application.  Are there any Windows
> applications
> to show keypresses?

a quick google search indicates that C-) (or Ctrl-Shift-0 in Windows
parlance) may be a shortcut for switching input language
see:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/169040
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967893

@ 2009-11-18  1:27           ` Joe
From: Joe @ 2009-11-18  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 17, 5:44 am, Bernardo <bernardo.ba...@pobox.com> wrote:

> a quick google search indicates that C-) (or Ctrl-Shift-0 in Windows
> parlance) may be a shortcut for switching input language
> see:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/169040
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967893

Thanks, changing the key setting solves my problem.  Didn't think to
search for ctrl-shift-0.

-joe