all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to capitalize words?
@ 2009-08-06 20:12 Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-08-06 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

how can I autocapitalize the first word in a sentence (that is, after
a period)?

I've searched the Emacs Wiki, but:
- auto-cap.el doesn't work;
- auto-capitalize.el raises an error after the first word, then it
doesn't work anymore.

Thanks

* Re: How to capitalize words?
@ 2009-08-06 22:46 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-08-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6 Ago, 22:12, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can I autocapitalize the first word in a sentence (that is, after
> a period)?
>
> I've searched the Emacs Wiki, but:
> - auto-cap.el doesn't work;
> - auto-capitalize.el raises an error after the first word, then it
> doesn't work anymore.
>
> Thanks

I mean: while entering text.

* Re: How to capitalize words?
@ 2009-08-06 23:46   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-06 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elena; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Elena<egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 Ago, 22:12, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> how can I autocapitalize the first word in a sentence (that is, after
>> a period)?
>>
>> I've searched the Emacs Wiki, but:
>> - auto-cap.el doesn't work;
>> - auto-capitalize.el raises an error after the first word, then it
>> doesn't work anymore.

Maybe you could mention this on EmacsWiki and contact the authors of
these modes? Then others could benefit from what you have seen and the
modes could be removed or corrected.

>> Thanks
>
> I mean: while entering text.

* Re: How to capitalize words?
@ 2009-08-06 23:58     ` Elena Garrulo
From: Elena Garrulo @ 2009-08-06 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, I will contact the authors.

It's just that it looked like such a basic facility that I thought it
was likely already implemented multiple times, maybe even as an option
in Emacs text modes.

Cheers

2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Elena<egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 Ago, 22:12, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> how can I autocapitalize the first word in a sentence (that is, after
>>> a period)?
>>>
>>> I've searched the Emacs Wiki, but:
>>> - auto-cap.el doesn't work;
>>> - auto-capitalize.el raises an error after the first word, then it
>>> doesn't work anymore.
>
> Maybe you could mention this on EmacsWiki and contact the authors of
> these modes? Then others could benefit from what you have seen and the
> modes could be removed or corrected.
>

>>> Thanks
>>
>> I mean: while entering text.

* Re: How to capitalize words?
@ 2009-08-07  0:32       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-07  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elena Garrulo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Elena Garrulo<egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I will contact the authors.
>
> It's just that it looked like such a basic facility that I thought it
> was likely already implemented multiple times, maybe even as an option
> in Emacs text modes.

I agree. And I think it is should be a basic facility on EmacsWiki to
be able to mark libraries as working/non-working, see

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsWikiSuggestions#toc1

> Cheers
>
> 2009/8/7 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:

>> Maybe you could mention this on EmacsWiki and contact the authors of
>> these modes? Then others could benefit from what you have seen and the
>> modes could be removed or corrected.

>>> I mean: while entering text.

* Re: How to capitalize words?
@ 2009-08-07  2:12 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-07  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

without using a special package, you can do it by simply use query-
replace-regexp, with pattern like this: “\. +.”, and in the
replacement string give this: “\,(upcase \1)”.

For detail, see bottom:

• Find and Replace with Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_find_replace.html

  Xah