all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode-line colors are too hard to distinguish
@ 2009-08-02 16:29 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

... at least I found them to be that.

How about using corresponding system colors as defaults? Are those
available on all system from the window managers?

* Re: mode-line colors are too hard to distinguish
@ 2009-08-02 20:20 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-08-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman skrev:
> ... at least I found them to be that.
>
> How about using corresponding system colors as defaults? Are those
> available on all system from the window managers?

What exactly are "corresponding system colors"? Mode-lines aren't very common.

	Jan D.

* Re: mode-line colors are too hard to distinguish
@ 2009-08-02 20:24   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-02 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:

> Lennart Borgman skrev:
>>
>> ... at least I found them to be that.
>>
>> How about using corresponding system colors as defaults? Are those
>> available on all system from the window managers?
>>

> What exactly are "corresponding system colors"? Mode-lines aren't very
> common.

I thought of the colors that are used for window manager windows title
bars. But maybe the suggestion is not the best since they are more
choosen to be pretty than to be readable. Mode lines are for reading
too.

But I think default colors that more helps to find the active window
would be very good.

* Re: mode-line colors are too hard to distinguish
@ 2009-08-02 20:47     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-08-02 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman skrev:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
>>
>> Lennart Borgman skrev:
>>> ... at least I found them to be that.
>>>
>>> How about using corresponding system colors as defaults? Are those
>>> available on all system from the window managers?
>>>
>> What exactly are "corresponding system colors"? Mode-lines aren't very
>> common.
>
> I thought of the colors that are used for window manager windows title
> bars. But maybe the suggestion is not the best since they are more
> choosen to be pretty than to be readable. Mode lines are for reading
> too.

Nowdays it isn't just colors for window titles, it is often transparent
pixmaps for backgrounds. Emacs can't do that yet.

> But I think default colors that more helps to find the active window
> would be very good.

Well, maybe using inactive window title appearance for inactive windows isn't
such a bad idea.

Probably very hard to find out for some window managers though.

	Jan D.

* Re: mode-line colors are too hard to distinguish
@ 2009-08-02 20:58 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-08-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

2009/8/2 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:
> ... at least I found them to be that.
>
> How about using corresponding system colors as defaults? Are those
> available on all system from the window managers?

Remember that many window managers don't have any such colors at all,
e.g. XMonad, ratpoison or StumpWM (AFAIK).

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: mode-line colors are too hard to distinguish
@ 2009-09-03 18:33   ` John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2009-09-03 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs-Devel devel

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Deniz Dogan<deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Remember that many window managers don't have any such colors at all,
> e.g. XMonad, ratpoison or StumpWM (AFAIK).

That does invalidate the virtue of defaulting to those colors when
they are available and ascertainable.  Nor does using a tiling window
manager preclude the existence of some amount of theming, e.g. my
'/John Yates' polished Gnome bar (0.8) ' on XMonad's
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive page.

I already go to some trouble manually to match my active and inactive
mode line colors to my window manager's active and inactive title bar
colors.  Doing so definitely makes emacs at least look more fully
integrated.

/john