all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images display)
@ 2009-07-17 18:40 rpd
       [not found] ` <mailman.2752.1247913028.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-07-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi
I am using chess.el but cannot get the chessboard to display any .bmps (or
pixmaps) so the board remains the (default?) text board only (I can load any
engine). I have both the pieces zip & directory from chess.el @ sourceforge
in my home folder (& also a winboard folder with images in).

When I M-x chess I get these messages:
Adding c:/Users/Dad/Emacs/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load-path
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Could not find any suitable or properly sized chess images
Starting chess program 'gnuchess'...done
There is a chess autosave file, read it? (y or n)

Can anyone help me please load suitable chess images?
I look forward to helpful replies, many thanks

* Re: Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images display)-Sorted by myself!
@ 2009-07-18 10:30 ` rpd
       [not found] ` <mailman.2752.1247913028.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-07-18 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

rpd wrote:

> Hi
> I am using chess.el but cannot get the chessboard to display any .bmps (or
> pixmaps) so the board remains the (default?) text board only (I can load
> any engine). I have both the pieces zip & directory from chess.el @
> sourceforge in my home folder (& also a winboard folder with images in).
>
> When I M-x chess I get these messages:
> Adding c:/Users/Dad/Emacs/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load-path
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> Could not find any suitable or properly sized chess images
> Starting chess program 'gnuchess'...done
> There is a chess autosave file, read it? (y or n)
>
> Can anyone help me please load suitable chess images?
> I look forward to helpful replies, many thanks

Ok- thanks for the replies ??!!! (what replies?! ie nil- no emacs chess
players out here? )
Anyway I have finally myself added some code to .emacs that now locates the
pixmaps & displays xboard so I can play chess (the board is quite large
though so I now want to resize it smaller).
Now my emacs learning journey continues & I hope I can find help somewhere
when I get stuck & need it.

@ 2009-07-21  0:43   ` Rafael
From: Rafael @ 2009-07-21  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rpd <richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Anyway I have finally myself added some code to .emacs that now locates the
> pixmaps & displays xboard so I can play chess (the board is quite large
> though so I now want to resize it smaller).

IIRC, there are several subdirectories with different types of pixmaps
that you can try. For me, this line

(setq chess-images-directory "~/site-lisp/chess-2.0b5/pieces/FRITZ2")

works well in my netbook.

* Re: Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images display)-Sorted by myself!
@ 2009-07-21  7:18     ` rpd
From: rpd @ 2009-07-21  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi
Thanks Klaus & Rafael for replying with help to display chess images. I have
got chess.el working & displaying images but only in Emacsclient & it
doesn't work in Emacs!

In Emacs I get this error message:

chess-ply-create*: Symbol's function definition is void: assert

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks & best wishes

* Re: Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images  display)-Sorted by myself!
@ 2009-07-21  7:37       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-21  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpd; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Byte compile the file. assert is a macro that normally only should be
used when byte-compiling a file. (Or you can load cl library if you
want to ...)

@ 2009-07-21 12:21         ` rpd
From: rpd @ 2009-07-21 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Byte compile the file. assert is a macro that normally only should be
> used when byte-compiling a file. (Or you can load cl library if you
> want to ...)

Hi
Thanks for your reply & information. I am very new to Emacs & do not
understand
how this <byte compile> file.assert has caused this error and more
importantly I still do not know what to do to fix it! (I will look into cl
library as I don't know what that is!).

{My  error message

> chess-ply-create*: Symbol's function definition is void: assert
>
> Any idea how to fix this? Thanks & best wishes
>
> --
}

I am most grateful if you could explain simply what this is and what I need
to do to fix it.
Thanks & best wishes

* Re: Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images  display)-Sorted by myself!
@ 2009-07-21 13:31           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-21 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpd; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM,
rpd<richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi

Hi rpd

> Thanks for your reply & information. I am very new to Emacs & do not
> understand
> how this <byte compile> file.assert has caused this error and more
> importantly I still do not know what to do to fix it! (I will look into cl
> library as I don't know what that is!).

The information I gave you were guesses abouit what goes wrong.
Someone who actually uses Emacs chess will perhaps know more accurate
what to do.

However what I guess from the information you gave is that you have
not installed Emacs chess as it should be installed. Maybe there is
some installation instructions that comes with it? Often those
instructions are a bit harder to follow on MS Windows since many of
those who have been writing things for Emacs are using GNU/Linux
instead and they do not know how to do the same things on MS Windows.

However let me guess a bit more. You could try doing

   M-: (require 'cl)

and then try Emacs chess again. (Normallly you should not do the
above, but it seems the easiest thing to try for you now.

> {My  error message

>> chess-ply-create*: Symbol's function definition is void: assert
>>
>> Any idea how to fix this? Thanks & best wishes
>>
>> --
> }
>
> I am most grateful if you could explain simply what this is and what I need
> to do to fix it.

The problem is a bit technical. "assert" is a function that is defined
in a part of Emacs, the cl library, that you normally do not see when
you run Emacs. That is because the library is used when byte compiling
Emacs lisp libraries files. When a file named for example foo.el
(Emacs lisp files has that extension) it is transformed into a foo.elc
where the addeed "c" means compiled. Emacs can use both .el files and
.elc files but uses the latter if it is available.

If there are instructions for installation I guess those installation
tells how to byte compile Emacs chess.

@ 2009-07-21 16:34             ` rpd
From: rpd @ 2009-07-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM,
> rpd<richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi
>
> Hi rpd
>

>> Thanks for your reply & information. I am very new to Emacs & do not
>> understand
>> how this <byte compile> file.assert has caused this error and more
>> importantly I still do not know what to do to fix it! (I will look into
>> cl
>> library as I don't know what that is!).
>

> The information I gave you were guesses abouit what goes wrong.
> Someone who actually uses Emacs chess will perhaps know more accurate
> what to do.
>
> However what I guess from the information you gave is that you have
> not installed Emacs chess as it should be installed. Maybe there is
> some installation instructions that comes with it? Often those
> instructions are a bit harder to follow on MS Windows since many of
> those who have been writing things for Emacs are using GNU/Linux
> instead and they do not know how to do the same things on MS Windows.
>
> However let me guess a bit more. You could try doing
>
>    M-: (require 'cl)
>
> and then try Emacs chess again. (Normallly you should not do the
> above, but it seems the easiest thing to try for you now.
>

>> {My  error message

>>> chess-ply-create*: Symbol's function definition is void: assert
>>>
>>> Any idea how to fix this? Thanks & best wishes
>>>
>>> --
>> }
>>
>> I am most grateful if you could explain simply what this is and what I
>> need
>> to do to fix it.
>

> The problem is a bit technical. "assert" is a function that is defined
> in a part of Emacs, the cl library, that you normally do not see when
> you run Emacs. That is because the library is used when byte compiling
> Emacs lisp libraries files. When a file named for example foo.el
> (Emacs lisp files has that extension) it is transformed into a foo.elc
> where the addeed "c" means compiled. Emacs can use both .el files and
> .elc files but uses the latter if it is available.
>
> If there are instructions for installation I guess those installation
> tells how to byte compile Emacs chess.
>

>> Thanks & best wishes
>> --

Hi Lennart
Many thanks for your prompt & helpful replies. Presently I do not fully
understand what has happened here but your advice works when I add (require
'cl) to my .emacs file.

The chess package chess.el seems to be working fine now in Emacs &
Emacsclient. Again many thanks to you! Maybe there is some information in
the chess package but I am new to Emacs & run Vista - so I have a steep
learning curve to get set up & running smoothly with Emacs. It is good to
have this forum for advice. (Why do I need Emacsclient? I have read some
from Emacsclient Wiki webpage but still I am not clear about this vs
Emacs!). Now I want to add more packages to Emacs (Java/JDEE + Perl +
C/C++/C# + org mode etc). I expect I may be posting for more help
soon!.....Emacs is a whole new experience to a MSWindows user who has only
used Notepad & DevC + a little cygwin! Onward....

Best wishes