all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Git vs CVS repos
@ 2009-07-19  1:38 Ted Roden
From: Ted Roden @ 2009-07-19  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Just looking at the savannah repos and was curious about the different
SCMs being used. Specifically: the git code seems to update with the CVS
code at some point. Is this automated or is someone doing it? Also, is
there an "official" codebase for developers to work from?

-Ted

* Re: Emacs Git vs CVS repos
@ 2009-07-19  3:23 ` Miles Bader
       [not found] ` <mailman.2785.1248041200.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-07-19  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Roden <tedroden@gmail.com> writes:
> Just looking at the savannah repos and was curious about the different
> SCMs being used. Specifically: the git code seems to update with the CVS
> code at some point. Is this automated or is someone doing it?

It's automated.

> Also, is there an "official" codebase for developers to work from?

Not sure what you mean, though the CVS trunk contains the canonical
source code, and the git repo should be identical to CVS, after a short
time delay.

-Miles

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]

* Re: Emacs Git vs CVS repos
@ 2009-07-19 22:06 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.2785.1248041200.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-19 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Roden; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Ted Roden<tedroden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just looking at the savannah repos and was curious about the different
> SCMs being used. Specifically: the git code seems to update with the CVS
> code at some point. Is this automated or is someone doing it? Also, is
> there an "official" codebase for developers to work from?

Yes, please see Emacs home page. Is not the information there clear
enough? (If not it should of course be corrected.)

* Re: Emacs Git vs CVS repos
@ 2009-07-20  1:40   ` Ted Roden
From: Ted Roden @ 2009-07-20  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Ted Roden <tedroden@gmail.com> writes:
>> Just looking at the savannah repos and was curious about the different
>> SCMs being used. Specifically: the git code seems to update with the CVS
>> code at some point. Is this automated or is someone doing it?
>
> It's automated.

Great thanks!

>> Also, is there an "official" codebase for developers to work from?
>
> Not sure what you mean, though the CVS trunk contains the canonical
> source code, and the git repo should be identical to CVS, after a short
> time delay.

I guess I was asking which SCM devs use when they commit. It was poorly
worded, but it sounds like they use CVS and it gets posted
automatically.

Either way, I can use git and get what I need. Thanks so much for the
help

-Ted

* Re: Emacs Git vs CVS repos
       [not found] ` <mailman.2785.1248041200.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-20 14:41   ` Ted Roden
From: Ted Roden @ 2009-07-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Ted Roden<tedroden@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just looking at the savannah repos and was curious about the different
>> SCMs being used. Specifically: the git code seems to update with the CVS
>> code at some point. Is this automated or is someone doing it? Also, is
>> there an "official" codebase for developers to work from?
>

> Yes, please see Emacs home page. Is not the information there clear
> enough? (If not it should of course be corrected.)

Unless we're talking about different things, I don't see this answered
on the home page at all. It mentions CVS, but nothing about syncing
between SCMs and nothing about git at all.

Though I'm not sure if this kind of thing warrants space on the home
page.

-Ted

* Re: Emacs Git vs CVS repos
@ 2009-07-21  1:55     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-21  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Roden; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Ted Roden<tedroden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Ted Roden<tedroden@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just looking at the savannah repos and was curious about the different
>>> SCMs being used. Specifically: the git code seems to update with the CVS
>>> code at some point. Is this automated or is someone doing it? Also, is
>>> there an "official" codebase for developers to work from?
>>

>> Yes, please see Emacs home page. Is not the information there clear
>> enough? (If not it should of course be corrected.)
>>

> Unless we're talking about different things, I don't see this answered
> on the home page at all. It mentions CVS, but nothing about syncing
> between SCMs and nothing about git at all.

Sorry, I just meant the official code base (that is in CVS).