all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with ssh/sftp/unison in emacs shell on Windows
@ 2009-06-15 22:15 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-06-15 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

looks like emacsW32 have problems running sftp or unison.

the problem with both is this error message:

 bash: [4972: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

is there some terminal setting or something in emacs to get this to
work?

unisone has a -dumbtty option, however, with that on, still same
error. So, apparently, it seems the problem is with emacsW32 or emacs
on Windows somewhere. On the Mac, I'm able run unison, rsync, sftp no
problem inside emacs's shell command, and i don't recall having to
setup setup anything particular...

possibly i need to tweak some termcap in cygwin??

Thanks.

-------------------------
Detail:

Here's the cygwin log:

Cygwin ~/web > unison -servercmd /usr/bin/unison c:/Users/xah/web
ssh://...@169.254.55.4//Users/xah/web
Contacting server...
bash: [6056: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[1]+  Stopped                 unison -servercmd /usr/bin/unison c:/
Users/xah/web ssh://...@169.254.55.4//Users/xah/web
Cygwin ~/web >

Cygwin ~/web/mswin/i > sftp xyz@www.example.com
Connecting to www.example.com ...
bash: [4972: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

[1]+  Stopped                 sftp xyz@www.example.com
Cygwin ~/web/mswin/i >

My emacs version:

GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001) of 2009-05-28 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: problem with ssh/sftp/unison in emacs shell on Windows
@ 2009-06-15 22:20 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-06-15 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 15, 3:15 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> looks like emacsW32 have problems running sftp or unison.
>
> the problem with both is this error message:
>
>  bash: [4972: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> is there some terminal setting or something in emacs to get this to
> work?
>
> unisone has a -dumbtty option, however, with that on, still same
> error. So, apparently, it seems the problem is with emacsW32 or emacs
> on Windows somewhere. On the Mac, I'm able run unison, rsync, sftp no
> problem inside emacs's shell command, and i don't recall having to
> setup setup anything particular...
>
> possibly i need to tweak some termcap in cygwin??
>
> Thanks.
>
> -------------------------
> Detail:
>
> Here's the cygwin log:
>
> Cygwin ~/web > unison -servercmd /usr/bin/unison c:/Users/xah/web
> ssh://...@169.254.55.4//Users/xah/web
> Contacting server...
> bash: [6056: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> [1]+  Stopped                 unison -servercmd /usr/bin/unison c:/
> Users/xah/web ssh://...@169.254.55.4//Users/xah/web
> Cygwin ~/web >
>
> Cygwin ~/web/mswin/i > sftp x...@www.example.com
> Connecting towww.example.com...
> bash: [4972: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 sftp x...@www.example.com
> Cygwin ~/web/mswin/i >
>
> My emacs version:
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001) of 2009-05-28 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

PS i can run unison and sftp fine in cygwin. Together with the fact
that emacs shell running unison or sftp works fine on OS X, i presume
this must be a emacsW32 or emacs on Windows issue. On the mac, i'm
running a version of Carbon Emacs that is based on emacs 22.x, so
possibly the problem could be emacs 23 itself...

thanks for any tips.

 Xah

* Re: problem with ssh/sftp/unison in emacs shell on Windows
@ 2009-06-16 18:27   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-06-16 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
>
> PS i can run unison and sftp fine in cygwin. Together with the fact
> that emacs shell running unison or sftp works fine on OS X, i presume
> this must be a emacsW32 or emacs on Windows issue. On the mac, i'm
> running a version of Carbon Emacs that is based on emacs 22.x, so
> possibly the problem could be emacs 23 itself...

More likely an issue with basic incompatibility between Cygwin
emulation of Posix terminals and the way native Windows Emacs runs
subprocess via pipes.

* Re: problem with ssh/sftp/unison in emacs shell on Windows
@ 2009-06-16 21:11     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-06-16 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> PS i can run unison and sftp fine in cygwin. Together with the fact
>> that emacs shell running unison or sftp works fine on OS X, i presume
>> this must be a emacsW32 or emacs on Windows issue. On the mac, i'm
>> running a version of Carbon Emacs that is based on emacs 22.x, so
>> possibly the problem could be emacs 23 itself...
>
> More likely an issue with basic incompatibility between Cygwin
> emulation of Posix terminals and the way native Windows Emacs runs
> subprocess via pipes.

Will the coming release of Cygwin 1.7 some day now change this?  The
news for 1.7 talks about "reworked pipe implementation", but I have no
idea whether this makes communication with Emacs better.