all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Fast emacs?
@ 2009-05-18  5:43 Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2009-05-18  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > Note that using the emacsclient is no solution, because this requires
> > that a version of Emacs be already running, which often defeats
> > the purpose (not only do I have to wait another eternity for this
> > new Emacs session to start, but then I have to start the server in
> > the new session).

Well, maybe you'd need to take another look at emacs --daemon ;-) I have
run it when my (X) *session* starts (no need for tricks to put it in
system startup scripts). Emacs starts within a cpl of seconds (1000 line
.emacs).

Then for the rest of the day I use emacsclient -c; lightning fast.

With emacs --daemon all the trimming, autoloading etc becomes much less
important.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Fast emacs?
@ 2009-05-17 21:05 kj
From: kj @ 2009-05-17 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For ***years*** I've been looking for a solution to this problem,
and I'm truly amazed that I have yet to find it: how to get a
fast-starting version of emacs.  The problem is that I have a big
.emacs file and a big Emacs desktop, which means that my Emacs takes
forever to start.  This is fine most of the time, but occasionally
I want a fast-starting emacs session (e.g. when I run "sudo emacs"
to edit a superuser-owned config file), and it's infuriating to
wait for emacs to go through a lengthy and useless song-and-dance...

I just can't believe there is no way around this.  (Other than, of
course, using vi.)

Note that using the emacsclient is no solution, because this requires
that a version of Emacs be already running, which often defeats
the purpose (not only do I have to wait another eternity for this
new Emacs session to start, but then I have to start the server in
the new session).

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

TIA!

Kynn