all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-s and delete under Windows
@ 2009-03-30 12:59 Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2009-03-30 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, under Linux, deleting while searching (C-s, type something, and
then press delete) removes letters from the search string and
continues to search.  Under Windows, the behavior is different: it
ends the search and deletes characters from my file.

How can I implement the Linux behavior under Windows?

Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:

(global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

* Re: C-s and delete under Windows
@ 2009-03-30 15:22 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.4253.1238426543.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-03-30 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Ulrich Scholz <d7@thispla.net> wrote:
> Hi, under Linux, deleting while searching (C-s, type something, and
> then press delete) removes letters from the search string and
> continues to search.  Under Windows, the behavior is different: it
> ends the search and deletes characters from my file.
>
> How can I implement the Linux behavior under Windows?
>
> Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:
>
> (global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

Try starting from

  emacs -Q

I have not seen this problem (I am using windows).

@ 2009-03-30 15:40   ` d7
From: d7 @ 2009-03-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30 Mrz., 17:22, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try starting from
>
>   emacs -Q
>
> I have not seen this problem (I am using windows).

I'm not quite sure I understand you.  Is "-Q" a command line option?
I'm starting emacs via the Windows menu.

Ulrich

@ 2009-03-30 18:07 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.4269.1238444064.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-30 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz wrote:
> Hi, under Linux, deleting while searching (C-s, type something, and
> then press delete) removes letters from the search string and
> continues to search.  Under Windows, the behavior is different: it
> ends the search and deletes characters from my file.
>
> How can I implement the Linux behavior under Windows?
>
> Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:
>
> (global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

That might be the culprit. Do your delete and backspace keys work the
same? Are they bound to same function? I think that backspace should
remove the last character from the isearch string and leave you in the
search routine. Delete should erase character right after instance of
seach string at cursor and break out of search. At least that's how my
Emacs (nt5.0) has always worked. If you just want to use C-s or C-r for
cursor movement you can do C-space at any point to break out of isearch.

* Re: C-s and delete under Windows
@ 2009-03-30 19:11     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-03-30 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d7; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM,  <d7@thispla.net> wrote:
> On 30 Mrz., 17:22, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Try starting from
>>
>>   emacs -Q
>>
>> I have not seen this problem (I am using windows).
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand you.  Is "-Q" a command line option?
> I'm starting emacs via the Windows menu.

Yes, just run the executable from a command window.

* Re: C-s and delete under Windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-30 20:14 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <mailman.4269.1238444064.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-30 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz <d7@thispla.net> wrote:

> Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:
>
> (global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

Yes, it is.  Because globally setting backspace, will override the
meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.  Try:

(define-key isearch-mode-map [backspace] 'isearch-delete-char)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: C-s and delete under Windows
@ 2009-03-30 20:30   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-03-30 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ulrich Scholz

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
> Ulrich Scholz <d7@thispla.net> wrote:
>
>> Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:
>>
>> (global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
>
> Yes, it is.  Because globally setting backspace, will override the
> meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.  Try:
>
> (define-key isearch-mode-map [backspace] 'isearch-delete-char)

Why does setting it globally override the setting in isearch-mode-map?

* Re: C-s and delete under Windows
@ 2009-03-30 20:56     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-30 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ulrich Scholz

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
>>> (global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
>>
>> Yes, it is.  Because globally setting backspace, will override the
>> meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.  Try:
>>
>> (define-key isearch-mode-map [backspace] 'isearch-delete-char)
>
> Why does setting it globally override the setting in isearch-mode-map?

IIRC:
Backspace is translated to DEL by default.
DEL is bound to `isearch-delete-char' in `isearch-mode-map', but
backspace isn't bound there at all.  Binding backspace overrides the
translation, which is responsible for the meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: C-s and delete under Windows
@ 2009-03-30 21:02       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-03-30 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ulrich Scholz

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:

>>> Yes, it is.  Because globally setting backspace, will override the
>>> meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.  Try:
>>>
>>> (define-key isearch-mode-map [backspace] 'isearch-delete-char)
>>
>> Why does setting it globally override the setting in isearch-mode-map?
>
> IIRC:
> Backspace is translated to DEL by default.
> DEL is bound to `isearch-delete-char' in `isearch-mode-map', but
> backspace isn't bound there at all.  Binding backspace overrides the
> translation, which is responsible for the meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

But ... this is so confusing so I think that it would be good if the
user gets a warning ... somewhere ...

@ 2009-03-31  7:18   ` d7
From: d7 @ 2009-03-31  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30 Mrz., 22:14, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> Ulrich Scholz <d...@thispla.net> wrote:
> > Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:
>
> > (global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
>
> Yes, it is.  Because globally setting backspace, will override the
> meaning in `isearch-mode-map'.  Try:
>
> (define-key isearch-mode-map [backspace] 'isearch-delete-char)
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Thanks, that did it.

Best regards,