all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pull firefox's html engine to emacs
@ 2009-02-23 16:17 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-02-23 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

how hard is it to pull Firefox's rendering engine (including css + js)
and put it under emacs?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: pull firefox's html engine to emacs
@ 2009-02-23 17:04 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1569.1235408645.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-02-23 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah Lee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Look in the devel archive.

@ 2009-02-23 18:56   ` Xah Lee
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1589.1235427834.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-02-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 23, 9:04 am, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Look in the devel archive.
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > how hard is it to pull Firefox's rendering engine (including css + js)
> > and put it under emacs?

which thread Lennart? approx thread name, month, will help. Thanks.

@ 2009-02-23 22:23     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1589.1235427834.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-02-23 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah Lee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Why not just search for firefox in the archives?

@ 2009-02-25 21:34       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-02-25 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:23:50 +0100 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

LB> Why not just search for firefox in the archives?

(please don't top-post)

I brought this up a while ago, when `Mozilla' was the name of the
browser, so the search should be for "firefox or mozilla".

Ted

* Re: pull firefox's html engine to emacs
@ 2009-02-25 22:37         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-02-25 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:23:50 +0100 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> LB> Why not just search for firefox in the archives?
>
> (please don't top-post)
>
> I brought this up a while ago, when `Mozilla' was the name of the
> browser, so the search should be for "firefox or mozilla".
>
> Ted

Here is a link to one discussion on Emacs Devel where this is mentioned:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-09/msg00353.html

@ 2009-03-02 20:44 ` W Dan Meyer
From: W Dan Meyer @ 2009-03-02 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> how hard is it to pull Firefox's rendering engine (including css + js)
> and put it under emacs?

hi!

I think that was mentioned on the mailing list.  There is a project
called `Conkeror' (not Konqueror, they're planning to change it
recently) which is completely mouseless (and I mean it, the only reason
I need sometimes to use mouse is to escape from buggy Flash hijacking
focus) browser influenced by Emacs, it works very well (use that in
production). It runs on XULRunner as a separate application, and it is
customisable through JS. It even allows you to play with JS repl (through
mozrepl module, but I haven't tried). That implies that it might be
possible to put it in Emacs someday, all you need is a widget inside
Emacs that would be capable to nest conkeror window, and Emacs lisp can
pull commands to it's repl.

      Dan W