all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is comment-column more buffer local than comment-start?
@ 2008-12-26 18:06 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-26 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Looking in newcomments.el I see

  (make-variable-buffer-local 'comment-column)

but nothing like that for comment-start etc. I beats my why it is this
way. (Or is it perhaps because major mode authors should know what to
do with comment-start?)

* Re: Is comment-column more buffer local than comment-start?
@ 2008-12-30 20:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-12-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> Looking in newcomments.el I see
>   (make-variable-buffer-local 'comment-column)
> but nothing like that for comment-start etc. I beats my why it is this
> way. (Or is it perhaps because major mode authors should know what to
> do with comment-start?)

IIRC it's for hysterical raisins.
If you ask me, it should be the other way around: comment-column should
not be "make-variable-buffer-local" whereas comment-start should.
But it doesn't matter that much.  Just always use either `setq-default'
or (set (make-loval-variable 'foo) bar) on those vars to be clear.