On 7/24/08, Ted Zlatanov wrote: > > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:08:29 -0400 Stefan Monnier < > monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote: > > >> The advantage over categories, which you suggested, is that the > >> completion code won't need categories supplied--it automatically gets > >> them based on the word syntax, so it's less work for the programmer and > > SM> Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by word syntax. > SM> Are you referring to something more like partial-completion-mode? > > That's close, but it looks for abbreviations rather than categories, and > is nicest when you know the word you want in advance. When you don't, > you still have to walk through the list of candidates. > > The essential problem is that more than 40 or so candidates are simply > unusable--it's not just slow, it's unmanageable. You don't know what's > at the end of the list until you go there, and by then you've forgotten > what was at the beginning. With categories you end up with meaningful > prefixes instead, as in my example. The category name is meaningful > because the name of the thing you are completing is split in an > informational way, not (as p-c-m does) by first letter, and then the > first thing from the split string is used as the category. > > If this doesn't sound useful I'll drop it. > > Ted To me it sounded very useful.