On 2/14/2022 1:00 PM, Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote: >> Looking at my original patch again, this value is already cached as a Tramp >> connection property named "home-directory". If the code were changed to set >> that connection property in a more-appropriate place, and >> `tramp-handle-abbreviate-file-name' simply *reads* that connection property, >> then I think that should resolve this issue. > > Sounds like it, I've only lightly tested this patch, but I think it should resolve the issue. It only sets the "home-directory" connection property when a connection is already established. Otherwise, it just uses the cached value (if any). Maybe there's a cleaner way to do this though; opportunistically setting a connection property like this seems like something there might be a special function for in Tramp, but I didn't see one after a bit of looking so this is what I went with.