all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* yet another rookie question M-x shell
@ 2006-03-08 12:49 billy
From: billy @ 2006-03-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have no problem getting a shell to work.
How do I get more than one shell available?
M-x returns me to the same shell each time.

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
@ 2006-03-08 15:15 ` Peter Tury
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Tury @ 2006-03-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 Mar 2006 04:49:42 -0800, billy wrote:

> I have no problem getting a shell to work.
> How do I get more than one shell available?
> M-x returns me to the same shell each time.

Maybe adjusting same-window-buffer-names variable (C-h v...) can also help?

Br,

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
@ 2006-03-08 15:16 ` Robert D. Crawford
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2006-03-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> I have no problem getting a shell to work.  How do I get more than one
> shell available?  M-x returns me to the same shell each time.

M-x rename-buffer

name the old shell something else... a good idea would be to name it
something related to what you feel you need it for i.e. "rootshell" or
"compilation shell" or  "this is a shell that I want because I want to
litter my buffer list with lots o' stuff".

Then, after you rename the original shell, you type this command:

M-x shell

and you will have another shell.

Remember, emacs helps those who help themselves.  You might find these
commands useful:

C-h i - this will bring you to the top level of your info docs.  Then,
if you browse or hit C-s you can search for appropriate items.

M-x man - while not emacs specific, and not ideal for looking for emacs
documentation, I feel that emacs might not be the only thing that you
might need documentation on.

M-x apropos
C-h f <function-name>
C-h v <variable-name>

These are more advanced topics and you should look them up.  While not
necessarily useful at this juncture in your education, they will be
helpful later.

The documentation for emacs is quite good.  Become familiar with it.

rdc

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Avoid reality at all costs.

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
@ 2006-03-08 19:51 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-03-08 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> I have no problem getting a shell to work. How do I get more than
> one shell available? M-x returns me to the same shell each time.

C-u M-x shell

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-10 17:56 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-10 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h f shell RET ]
| shell is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `shell'.
| (shell &optional BUFFER)
|
| Run an inferior shell, with I/O through BUFFER (which defaults to
`*shell*').
| Interactively, a prefix arg means to prompt for BUFFER.
| If BUFFER exists but shell process is not running, make new shell.

The sentence above means `C-u M-x shell RET' does what you want.

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-11  1:39 ` mlathe
From: mlathe @ 2006-03-11  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI i added this to help me create several buffers with predictable names to
help when coding.

This might be helpful if you always want the same shells open for each emacs
session

;; pre-create shell buffers
(defun thias-shell ()
  (interactive)
  (shell)
  (rename-buffer "*Sdefault*")
  (shell)
  (rename-buffer "*Shelper*")
  (shell)
  (rename-buffer "*Scompile*")
  (shell)
  (rename-buffer "*Srun*")
  (split-window-vertically)
  (shell)
  (rename-buffer "*Slog*")
)

Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
@ 2006-03-13 16:19   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

mlathe wrote:
 > FYI i added this to help me create several buffers with predictable
names to
 > help when coding.
 >
 > This might be helpful if you always want the same shells open for
each emacs
 > session
 >
 > ;; pre-create shell buffers
 > (defun thias-shell ()
 >   (interactive)
 >   (shell)
 >   (rename-buffer "*Sdefault*")
 >   (shell)
 >   (rename-buffer "*Shelper*")
 >   (shell)
 >   (rename-buffer "*Scompile*")
 >   (shell)
 >   (rename-buffer "*Srun*")
 >   (split-window-vertically)
 >   (shell)
 >   (rename-buffer "*Slog*")
 > )

I think you meant:

;; pre-create shell buffers
(defun thias-shells ()
   (interactive)
   (shell "*Sdefault*")
   (shell "*Shelper*")
   (shell "*Scompile*")
   (shell "*Srun*")
   (split-window-vertically)
   (shell "*Slog*")
)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
@ 2006-03-13 20:50     ` mlathe
From: mlathe @ 2006-03-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

nope i didn't...
but then again i didn't know that that you can pass in an alternate buffer
name.
i guess i should have RTFM.
thanks for the pointer. (still learning!)
--Matthias

@ 2006-03-13 23:37       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-13 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

mlathe wrote:
> nope i didn't...
> but then again i didn't know that that you can pass in an alternate buffer
> name.
> i guess i should have RTFM.

Or you could have read my previous reply.  :-)

> thanks for the pointer. (still learning!)

You're welcome -- even us veterans are still learning!

--
Kevin Rodgers