all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#8692: hideshow
@ 2011-05-18  9:27 Patrik Krajina
From: Patrik Krajina @ 2011-05-18  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 8692

Hi,

this is not really a bug report, but I don't know where else
to send it. My problem is this: I'm changing Emacs version
from 19.34 to 21.4.1 (x86_64_redhat_linux_gnu) and this
gives me a new hideshow.elc.

I can see that it compresses blocks into one line without
displaying the braces, while in old Emacs it kept the braces.
I prefer the old version, because it is easier to see where
the compresses are. Also to see the end comment '*/'.
How do I turn on that feature again or what changes has to
be made to hideshow.el to accomplish this. I am not a Lisp-
programmer, so unfortunately I cannot figure it out myself.
I have compared the files, but the changes are to extensive.

Regards,
Patrik

--
Patrik Krajina
Senior Systems Engineer

* bug#8692: hideshow
@ 2011-05-18 19:27 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-05-18 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrik Krajina; +Cc: 8692

Patrik Krajina wrote:

> My problem is this: I'm changing Emacs version from 19.34 to 21.4.1
> (x86_64_redhat_linux_gnu) and this gives me a new hideshow.elc.

Welcome to the exciting world of 2005! ;)

> I can see that it compresses blocks into one line without
> displaying the braces, while in old Emacs it kept the braces.

I think Emacs 23.2 onwards may behave like you want.

( I think http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=700
  may be the relevant report. )

Personally, I recommed upgrading your Emacs rather than trying to patch
your hideshow.el.