all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Alwyn <dt015a1979@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Tiger upgrade (mac osx): help needed!
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:24:18 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <021020050125425820%kiran@no.email>, Kiran <kiran@no.email>
wrote:

> I just did an "archive install" type of upgrade from 10.3 panther to
> 10.4 tiger. Many questions:
>
> 1. Carbon Emacs breaks. I use it a lot, Any solution?

You want to download this:
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/carbonemacspackag
e.html>

> 2. The x11 that came with tiger also doesn't work (icon bounces once
> and quits). Any ideas?

Start up Console and see what X11 has written to the log before it quit.
That may give you some idea what's going wrong.

> 3. My home folder, applications I had placed on /MyApps, fink stuff in
> /sw etc are of course untouched. What do I need to save from previous
> system before I can trash the folder? All I can thibk of is /usr/local.
> Anything else?

I think I would get rid of the Fink stuff, if I were you, and start
again from scratch. Some of the Panther binaries will be compatible with
Tiger and others not. In any case, you will need to upgrade Fink itself.

Alwyn