all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-07-31 21:24 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-07-31 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I am using unicode characters in my elisp code (e.g. foreign language symbols in icelandic
and spanish).

Is the regexp [[:word:]] appropriate to capture them ?

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-07-31 21:50 ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-07-31 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Thursday, August 1st, 2024 at 9:24 AM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I am using unicode characters in my elisp code (e.g. foreign language symbols in icelandic
> and spanish).
>
> Is the regexp [[:word:]] appropriate to capture them ?

Although I have tried "[:multibyte:]", it did not get matches that I
get with "[:word:]".  I am using the regexp for constructing imenu
expressions.

To match

;; DN [główny] Sgn(Major), Lexik(Polish).

("Denotes"
   ,(concat "^;;\\s-+"
            "\\([[:word:]]+\\)\\s-+"
            "\\[\\([[:multibyte:]]+\\)\\]\\s-+") 2)

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01  5:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-01  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 21:24:46 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
>
> I am using unicode characters in my elisp code (e.g. foreign language symbols in icelandic
> and spanish).
>
> Is the regexp [[:word:]] appropriate to capture them ?

No.  [[:word:]] matches characters that have the word syntax, so which
characters match depends on the major mode.  My suggestion is to use
either [[:alnum:]] or [[:alpha:]] instead, depending on whether you
want or don't want to match digit characters.

The meaning of each character class is documented in the "Char
Classes" node of the ELisp Reference manual, I suggest to read it and
choose the most appropriate one for your needs.

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 11:26   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-08-01 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, August 1st, 2024 at 5:15 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 21:24:46 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> >
> > I am using unicode characters in my elisp code (e.g. foreign language symbols in icelandic
> > and spanish).
> >
> > Is the regexp [[:word:]] appropriate to capture them ?
>

> No. [[:word:]] matches characters that have the word syntax, so which
> characters match depends on the major mode. My suggestion is to use
> either [[:alnum:]] or [[:alpha:]] instead, depending on whether you
> want or don't want to match digit characters.
>
> The meaning of each character class is documented in the "Char
> Classes" node of the ELisp Reference manual, I suggest to read it and
> choose the most appropriate one for your needs.

It is difficult to determine from a character class, the actual character.
Is there a way to show the characters that are members of each class ?

Thought that [:multibyte:] captured the unicode characters.  Bet even when
I applied (set-buffer-multibyte t) to the buffer, I did not get matches.

Does [:word:] mean word in the english language only ?

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 12:10     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-01 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 11:26:40 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On Thursday, August 1st, 2024 at 5:15 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 21:24:46 +0000
> > > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > >
> > > I am using unicode characters in my elisp code (e.g. foreign language symbols in icelandic
> > > and spanish).
> > >
> > > Is the regexp [[:word:]] appropriate to capture them ?
> >

> > No. [[:word:]] matches characters that have the word syntax, so which
> > characters match depends on the major mode. My suggestion is to use
> > either [[:alnum:]] or [[:alpha:]] instead, depending on whether you
> > want or don't want to match digit characters.
> >
> > The meaning of each character class is documented in the "Char
> > Classes" node of the ELisp Reference manual, I suggest to read it and
> > choose the most appropriate one for your needs.
>
> It is difficult to determine from a character class, the actual character.

Why do you need that?  Don't you know which characters you'd like to
match?

> Is there a way to show the characters that are members of each class ?

No, but you can check each character whether it matches a class.

> Thought that [:multibyte:] captured the unicode characters.  Bet even when
> I applied (set-buffer-multibyte t) to the buffer, I did not get matches.

Don't use [:multibyte:], it is hardly ever the right thing nowadays.

> Does [:word:] mean word in the english language only ?

No, it means characters that have the word _syntax_.  IOW, which
character match depends on the major mode's syntax table.  If you are
classifying characters from human-readable text, [:word:] is not the
right thing to use.

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 13:43       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-08-01 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 12:10 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 11:26:40 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > No. [[:word:]] matches characters that have the word syntax, so which
> > > characters match depends on the major mode. My suggestion is to use
> > > either [[:alnum:]] or [[:alpha:]] instead, depending on whether you
> > > want or don't want to match digit characters.
> > >
> > > The meaning of each character class is documented in the "Char
> > > Classes" node of the ELisp Reference manual, I suggest to read it and
> > > choose the most appropriate one for your needs.
> >
> > It is difficult to determine from a character class, the actual character.
>
> Why do you need that? Don't you know which characters you'd like to
> match?

No, because language insertion in emacs depends upon the user.  But I want
to match foreign language characters mostly.

> > Is there a way to show the characters that are members of each class ?
>
> No, but you can check each character whether it matches a class.

What is the function name for doing that ?  Can one scan the buffer
and list the matched character classes ?

> > Thought that [:multibyte:] captured the unicode characters. Bet even when
> > I applied (set-buffer-multibyte t) to the buffer, I did not get matches.
>
> Don't use [:multibyte:], it is hardly ever the right thing nowadays.

Can we update the manual with useful information such as with [:multibyte:] please.

> > Does [:word:] mean word in the english language only ?
>

> No, it means characters that have the word syntax. IOW, which
> character match depends on the major mode's syntax table. If you are
> classifying characters from human-readable text, [:word:] is not the
> right thing to use.

Can one show the syntax table ?  For me it is just word syntax table does
not give me enough information.  Perhaps give more explanation in the manual.

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 14:30         ` Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-01 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> Can one show the syntax table ?

Try C-h s.

Michael.

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 15:34         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 13:43:20 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Why do you need that? Don't you know which characters you'd like to
> > match?
>
> No, because language insertion in emacs depends upon the user.  But I want
> to match foreign language characters mostly.

If by "foreign language characters" you mean letters and digits, then
[:alnum:] is what you want, as I already suggested.  This covers all
the characters that are either letters or digits, in all the
languages.

> > > Is there a way to show the characters that are members of each class ?
> >
> > No, but you can check each character whether it matches a class.
>
> What is the function name for doing that ?

string-match-p if you have a string or looking-at-p if you have it in
the buffer.

> Can one scan the buffer and list the matched character classes ?

Character classes overlap, so I'm not sure what kind of function you
want, and I don't think we have it anyway.  It's usually the other way
around: the author of a Lisp program knows in advance what kinds of
characters the program needs to match, and uses a regexp which will do
the job.

> > > Thought that [:multibyte:] captured the unicode characters. Bet even when
> > > I applied (set-buffer-multibyte t) to the buffer, I did not get matches.
> >
> > Don't use [:multibyte:], it is hardly ever the right thing nowadays.
>
> Can we update the manual with useful information such as with [:multibyte:] please.

The useful information is already there (including a cross-reference
to a detailed description of what "multibyte" means).  I just
translated it into simpler terms, based on what you told about the job
you want to do, to save you from the need to read that if you don't
want to.

> > > Does [:word:] mean word in the english language only ?
> >

> > No, it means characters that have the word syntax. IOW, which
> > character match depends on the major mode's syntax table. If you are
> > classifying characters from human-readable text, [:word:] is not the
> > right thing to use.
>
> Can one show the syntax table ?  For me it is just word syntax table does
> not give me enough information.  Perhaps give more explanation in the manual.

The manual already does that: there's a cross-reference in the
description of [:word:] which leads to the node "Syntax Class Table",
which explains syntax tables in detail.

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 17:06           ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-08-01 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 3:34 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 13:43:20 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > Why do you need that? Don't you know which characters you'd like to
> > > match?
> >
> > No, because language insertion in emacs depends upon the user. But I want
> > to match foreign language characters mostly.
>

> If by "foreign language characters" you mean letters and digits, then
> [:alnum:] is what you want, as I already suggested. This covers all
> the characters that are either letters or digits, in all the
> languages.

> > > No, but you can check each character whether it matches a class.
> >
> > What is the function name for doing that ?
>

> string-match-p if you have a string or looking-at-p if you have it in
> the buffer.
>
> > Can one scan the buffer and list the matched character classes ?
>

> Character classes overlap, so I'm not sure what kind of function you
> want, and I don't think we have it anyway. It's usually the other way
> around: the author of a Lisp program knows in advance what kinds of
> characters the program needs to match, and uses a regexp which will do
> the job.

I want to include in the regexp the possibility that the user wrote some
comment in a foreign language other than english.  Otherwise the regexp
would simply skip them.  And your suggestion has been [alpha] and [:alnum:].

> > > Don't use [:multibyte:], it is hardly ever the right thing nowadays.
> >
> > Can we update the manual with useful information such as with [:multibyte:] please.
>

> The useful information is already there (including a cross-reference
> to a detailed description of what "multibyte" means). I just
> translated it into simpler terms, based on what you told about the job
> you want to do, to save you from the need to read that if you don't
> want to.

A mention that [:multibyte:] is not used much nowadays.

@ 2024-08-01 17:46             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 17:06:26 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 3:34 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> I want to include in the regexp the possibility that the user wrote some
> comment in a foreign language other than english.  Otherwise the regexp
> would simply skip them.  And your suggestion has been [alpha] and [:alnum:].

Once again, [:alpha:] and [:alnum:] will match letters and digits in
any language, not just in English.

> > The useful information is already there (including a cross-reference
> > to a detailed description of what "multibyte" means). I just
> > translated it into simpler terms, based on what you told about the job
> > you want to do, to save you from the need to read that if you don't
> > want to.
>
> A mention that [:multibyte:] is not used much nowadays.

That's not what I said.  I said it is almost never the right thing
nowadays, especially in your case.

I'm trying to help you by saying simplified things.  The manual
doesn't simplify, because it's a reference.

* Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-01 19:44               ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-08-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 5:46 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 17:06:26 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 3:34 AM, Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org wrote:
> >
> > I want to include in the regexp the possibility that the user wrote some
> > comment in a foreign language other than english. Otherwise the regexp
> > would simply skip them. And your suggestion has been [alpha] and [:alnum:].
>

> Once again, [:alpha:] and [:alnum:] will match letters and digits in
> any language, not just in English.
>
> > > The useful information is already there (including a cross-reference
> > > to a detailed description of what "multibyte" means). I just
> > > translated it into simpler terms, based on what you told about the job
> > > you want to do, to save you from the need to read that if you don't
> > > want to.
> >
> > A mention that [:multibyte:] is not used much nowadays.
>

> That's not what I said. I said it is almost never the right thing
> nowadays, especially in your case.
>
> I'm trying to help you by saying simplified things. The manual
> doesn't simplify, because it's a reference.

Would graph [:graph:] be the most powerful ?

In "34.2 Disabling Multibyte Characters", it is stated

"Multibyte mode allows you to use all the supported languages
and scripts without limitations."

Yet you say that it is never the right thing especially in my case.
Where in my case I want to support languages without limitations.

I did not find the reference is enough to decide what is appropriate
to use for languages without limitations, or for specific languages.
Mainly because I would not know what the classes include exactly.

Have read

34.1 Text Representtions

34.7 Character Sets

36.2.1 Table of Syntax Classes

and

35.3.1.1 Special Characters in Regular Expressions

35.3.1.2 Character Classes

35.3.1.3 Backslash Constructs in Regular Expressions

Would I have missed other things important to the discussion ?

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-02  5:44                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-02  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 19:44:18 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 5:46 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Once again, [:alpha:] and [:alnum:] will match letters and digits in
> > any language, not just in English.

> > > A mention that [:multibyte:] is not used much nowadays.
> >

> > That's not what I said. I said it is almost never the right thing
> > nowadays, especially in your case.
> >
> > I'm trying to help you by saying simplified things. The manual
> > doesn't simplify, because it's a reference.
>
> Would graph [:graph:] be the most powerful ?

[:graph:] includes punctuation and other symbols, which AFAIU you
don't want to match (since you thought [:word:] is what you need).

> In "34.2 Disabling Multibyte Characters", it is stated
>
> "Multibyte mode allows you to use all the supported languages
> and scripts without limitations."

That's not really relevant to the issue at hand.  Yes, multibyte
characters are needed to support all the languages.  No, that doesn't
mean you need to use [:multibyte:], because that will match
punctuation, symbols, non-ASCII control and whitespace characters,
etc., and you don't want that.  OTOH, [:multibyte:] doesn't match
ASCII letters and digits, and you certainly do want to match them.

> Yet you say that it is never the right thing especially in my case.
> Where in my case I want to support languages without limitations.

Yes, and [:alpha:] and [:alnum:] support languages without
limitations.  As I already told you several times.

> I did not find the reference is enough to decide what is appropriate
> to use for languages without limitations, or for specific languages.
> Mainly because I would not know what the classes include exactly.

I tried to help you with specific advice, but you insist on not
listening.  So this will be my last message in this thread.

* Re: Regexp capturing unicode characters
@ 2024-08-02  8:03                   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2024-08-02  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 5:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 19:44:18 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > On Friday, August 2nd, 2024 at 5:46 AM, Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org wrote:
> >
> > > Once again, [:alpha:] and [:alnum:] will match letters and digits in
> > > any language, not just in English.

> > > That's not what I said. I said it is almost never the right thing
> > > nowadays, especially in your case.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to help you by saying simplified things. The manual
> > > doesn't simplify, because it's a reference.
> >
> > Would graph [:graph:] be the most powerful ?
>

> [:graph:] includes punctuation and other symbols, which AFAIU you
> don't want to match (since you thought [:word:] is what you need).
>
> > In "34.2 Disabling Multibyte Characters", it is stated
> >
> > "Multibyte mode allows you to use all the supported languages
> > and scripts without limitations."
>

> That's not really relevant to the issue at hand. Yes, multibyte
> characters are needed to support all the languages. No, that doesn't
> mean you need to use [:multibyte:], because that will match
> punctuation, symbols, non-ASCII control and whitespace characters,
> etc., and you don't want that. OTOH, [:multibyte:] doesn't match
> ASCII letters and digits, and you certainly do want to match them.
>
> > Yet you say that it is never the right thing especially in my case.
> > Where in my case I want to support languages without limitations.
>

> Yes, and [:alpha:] and [:alnum:] support languages without
> limitations. As I already told you several times.
>
> > I did not find the reference is enough to decide what is appropriate
> > to use for languages without limitations, or for specific languages.
> > Mainly because I would not know what the classes include exactly.
>

> I tried to help you with specific advice, but you insist on not
> listening. So this will be my last message in this thread.

I listen, but also wanted reason so I can reach the same conclusion.
I accept the elaboration, which I could not conclude by myself
based only on the manual descriptions.  That was all it was about.

Then there is ".*" which is very broad and flexible. It can match spaces,
punctuation, and special characters.  Would this constitute the broadest
thing ?  I am using to pick on anything.